Hunter plumbing (H33.5 1994)

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I have this grey piping in the boat for fresh water. Is this particularly a marine product or is it residential, like pex? Where can I find parts for this?
1629998553061.png

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
It is polybutylene tubing. You can find fittings on Amazon and other internet sources, as well at at Depot/Lowes/ACE. The stuff got a bad rep because it was used in attics of homes where the heat caused it to weaken and burst.. Some folks would have the whole boat replumbed but since it lasted 27 years, I wouldn't get too excited.. The hot water side may have problems and you can replace it with PEX (recommended) with appropriate fittings.

• Helpful
Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
It is polybutylene tubing. You can find fittings on Amazon and other internet sources, as well at at Depot/Lowes/ACE. The stuff got a bad rep because it was used in attics of homes where the heat caused it to weaken and burst.. Some folks would have the whole boat replumbed but since it lasted 27 years, I wouldn't get too excited.. The hot water side may have problems and you can replace it with PEX (recommended) with appropriate fittings.
We had the same plumbing on our '84 Hunter 34. Found out that their was a manufactures recall that had Hunter replacing that style of pipe with something else. Out boat don't get there recall work add it was our of country I believe.

We replaced our cabin sole this winter and replaced the plumbing while the floor was out switching everything to Pex with fittings from Ace Hardware and Home Depot. The tricky part was reconnecting the hot water heater. I also built a manifold to select which water tank to draw from and added a temperature regulator to the hot water heater to cook of the water coming out of the heater. I plan to post project photos and description soon to the forum once I fix a couple of bugs in the system.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
There appears to be a check valve at the exit of the hot water tank. Is that only there to make the bypass work or is there another purpose?
My trailer HW heater has two bypass valves and no check valve as far as I know.