Leaking head faucet, and cant get toilet to pressurize to flush

Aug 26, 2021
Catalina C-30 Bayport Yachting center
Hello,
I am new to my 1985 catalina tall rig.. when i fill my forward tank, my head faucet continues to drip, i dont see a leak at the pump, it pressurizes now and then, for now i have shut off the pressure. But want to fix this.

As well, when i switch the throughhull valve to use the head, in the wet position it doesnt fill the bowl, then tough to pump out using the dry side..

Any suggestions?

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Replace the faucet!

I don't think the bowl supposed to fill when you open the sea valve. You get water when you pump or turn on the pump to use the head. The head usually takes water from the sea when you use a pump unless you have an electric head it may still use a water from the sea.
Some newer boats and some people have changed the plumbing to use the fresh water tank supply to feed the head.

Aug 26, 2021
Replace the faucet!

I don't think the bowl supposed to fill when you open the sea valve. You get water when you pump or turn on the pump to use the head. The head usually takes water from the sea when you use a pump unless you have an electric head it may still use a water from the sea.
Some newer boats and some people have changed the plumbing to use the fresh water tank supply to feed the head.
That simple eh, just replace the faucet..
As far as the head, so i take in water with the throughhull open, then i move the valve to expell to the holding tank, and sounds like the pump has a hard time pushing anything through, just gurgles.. works fine to just push through the throughhull but i hate that..

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
You don’t say what the brand your head is, but you may need to rebuild the pump. Kits are available. Not the most pleasant job, but not difficult.

Aug 26, 2021
When you pump the waste it should go into your tank not overboard, it's generally illegal and very politically uncorrect to pump waste into local or coastal water.

Yes replace the faucet they are very cheaply made RV type faucets I don't even know he can get washers for them.

From the things you're writing it seems that you may not know how to operate the whole system maybe you can find somebody local to you to help you understand it rather than people like me trying to write volumes about something that's usually pretty simple good luck
I dont pump overboard, i agree its gross and unethical, even though apparently its legal in canadian waters, ive been at dock and using the bathrooms there, i follow the instructions but must be the pump as you said.

Ill replace the faucet.. just have water pressure off and swap out?
Thanks again

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Your dripping faucet has nothing to do with your toilet. Replacing a rubber gasket should fix it.

Your toilet is an older Jabsco manual toilet...it uses sea water and should NEVER be connected to the fresh water plumbing. The lever at the back of the pump has two settings--wet and dry. Pumping in the "wet" mode simultaneously pulls in flush water and pushes bowl contents out. The intake thru-hull must be open for this to work. Pumping the toilet in the "dry" mode only pushes bowl contents out without bringing in any flush water. It's very important to pump long enough in either mode to move the flush all the way to the holding tank.

It's also important to keep the pump well lubricated...this can be done by flushing a tablespoon--NO MORE!--of veggie oil down the toilet every 2-3 weeks (There's a much better way that only has to be done once a season, but that will work until you become more familiar with the equipment on your boat).

Someone suggested you rebuild it... Jabsco "service" kits cost at least 80% as much as a replacement pump assembly, and replacing the pump only requires removing and replacing a couple of hoses and 4 bolts...rebuilding requires disassembling and reassembling the pump.

You're sure to have more questions...I'll be glad to answer 'em.
--Peggie

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I dont pump overboard, i agree its gross and unethical, even though apparently its legal in canadian waters,
Well yes and no.
Rather than shutting down recreational boating completely while shore facilities ramp up the installation of pump outs, the following regulation is in place. Para 88 and 96(e) in particular should be noted: Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations (SOR/2012-69)
This guide from Canadian Yachting magazine helps to explain the rules in non-legalize terms:
Guide to Sewage Discharge Regs
Here is a link that shows both BC and WA pump-outs services:
Where to Pumpout
As can be seen, you should not have a problem at all locating a pump-out facility in either cruising ground.

Aug 26, 2021
Well yes and no.
Rather than shutting down recreational boating completely while shore facilities ramp up the installation of pump outs, the following regulation is in place. Para 88 and 96(e) in particular should be noted: Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations (SOR/2012-69)
This guide from Canadian Yachting magazine helps to explain the rules in non-legalize terms:
Guide to Sewage Discharge Regs
Here is a link that shows both BC and WA pump-outs services:
Where to Pumpout
As can be seen, you should not have a problem at all locating a pump-out facility in either cruising ground.
Yes i am aware its no issue to pump out. And once i get this working i will do this. I havent been using it just trying to get it working..

Thanks for the help!

Aug 26, 2021
Your dripping faucet has nothing to do with your toilet. Replacing a rubber gasket should fix it.

Your toilet is an older Jabsco manual toilet...it uses sea water and should NEVER be connected to the fresh water plumbing. The lever at the back of the pump has two settings--wet and dry. Pumping in the "wet" mode simultaneously pulls in flush water and pushes bowl contents out. The intake thru-hull must be open for this to work. Pumping the toilet in the "dry" mode only pushes bowl contents out without bringing in any flush water. It's very important to pump long enough in either mode to move the flush all the way to the holding tank.

It's also important to keep the pump well lubricated...this can be done by flushing a tablespoon--NO MORE!--of veggie oil down the toilet every 2-3 weeks (There's a much better way that only has to be done once a season, but that will work until you become more familiar with the equipment on your boat).

Someone suggested you rebuild it... Jabsco "service" kits cost at least 80% as much as a replacement pump assembly, and replacing the pump only requires removing and replacing a couple of hoses and 4 bolts...rebuilding requires disassembling and reassembling the pump.

You're sure to have more questions...I'll be glad to answer 'em.
--Peggie
Hello,
I am aware they are two separate issues :)
So, in the head it says to close the through hull valves each time head is used, when i do this, it no longer pulls water in... so to leave it open, seems to flush out the bit of water that doesnt quite get pumped, instead of to the tank, then, once the head has water in it, i close the through hull, so it pushes to the tank, and just kinda gurgles.
I will Definitely get some vegetable oil and lube it before i look to replace the pump, just changed the joker valve, we'll see if that was it, but the one i pulled out looked in decent shape too..

Thank you and i will keep updated!

Aug 26, 2021
Hello,
So, in the head it says to close the through hull valves each time head is used, when i do this, it no longer pulls water in... so to leave it open, seems to flush out the bit of water that doesnt quite get pumped, instead of to the tank, then, once the head has water in it, i close the through hull, so it pushes to the tank, and just kinda gurgles.
I will Definitely get some vegetable oil and lube it before i look to replace the pump, just changed the joker valve, we'll see if that was it, but the one i pulled out looked in decent shape too..

Hello,
So i put some veg oil through, and seemed to help fill the bowl the first try.. sounded like it emptied to the tank, but still couldnt get it to fill more than the narrow part of the bowl.. i think the pump, i think im just gonna replace the thing... when i unhooked the water in, the water kept going, even with the through hull closed.. could that be coming from the forward water tank? Is it ok to just let this flow to the floor drain to the bilge till i hook up the new one?

Thank you again so much

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hello,

I think the instructions mean to close the water inlet thruhull when not using the toilet…as a safety precaution for a failed hose sinking your boat (as we should do with all thru hulls). But you need it open when using the toilet…that allows the pump to pull in the lake water for flushing. Once you are done, and gave pumped the bowl dry, you can close the tru hull.

It seems like your Jabsco needs to be serviced (disassembled and rebuilt or the pump unit replaced). They are not the robust units. That will help with clearing the bowl I think.

Personally, I open the thruhulls when I get to the boat, leave them all open while I am on board, and then close all of the thru hulls when I leave the boat.

For your sink issue, you either need to rebuild the valves in the faucet to get it to close properly, or replace the faucet.

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
o, in the head it says to close the through hull valves each time head is used...,
Obviously a previous owner's idea to prevent sea water from flooding the toilet between uses...but he only made it obvious that he'd never read the installation instructions 'cuz it was the wrong solution. The owners manual available online is for the current version of the Jabsco manual toilet, but the plumbing instructions are the same for all versions...you can download it from here: Jabsco Manual Twist & Lock owners manual The drawing ( Figure 1 on p.3) shows the right way to plumb the toilet intake line (you can ignore the discharge line plumbing in that drawing if you're only flushing into a holding tank).

Give me a shout after you've spent a little time with it and I'll be glad to walk you through how to do it right.

Aug 26, 2021
I think the instructions mean to close the water inlet thruhull when not using the toilet…as a safety precaution for a failed hose sinking your boat (as we should do with all thru hulls). But you need it open when using the toilet…that allows the pump to pull in the lake water for flushing. Once you are done, and gave pumped the bowl dry, you can close the tru hull.

It seems like your Jabsco needs to be serviced (disassembled and rebuilt or the pump unit replaced). They are not the robust units. That will help with clearing the bowl I think.

Personally, I open the thruhulls when I get to the boat, leave them all open while I am on board, and then close all of the thru hulls when I leave the boat.

For your sink issue, you either need to rebuild the valves in the faucet to get it to close properly, or replace the faucet.

Greg
I appreciate your response. I ended up replacing the unit. I may service the old one as im pretty sure its just the pump valve.
I will be investigating the faucet tomorrow, sounds like just a seal but i hear they are hard to find, likely just replace it too.