Raymarine st4000+ autopilot problems

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
my boat is a Hunter 2002 356. The auto pilot has been working pretty good in light wind and calmer waters for years. However all of a sudden it just wanders even with no sails and flat water. In addition I notice that the compass reading does not agree with my mechanical liquid filled compass. The Raymarine has always been a couple degrees off but now it’s way off always. I always set the rudder gain to 1 and the response to 2. So I called Raymarine. Of course they no longer service this unit and no parts available. The tech believes it’s the fluxgate compass. He provided voltage readings to test with. I have not done that -yet. But just in case I searched for a fluxgate compass for my model on eBay with no luck. If anyone can help me here that would be so appreciated.
‘I need first to know where the fluxgate compass is located on my 2002 356. And I need to know if the st4000+ has a reset. Anyone has experienced this problem please share what you did to solve it.

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
I have an ST7001 and have the same problem with it. Raymarine needs to know which ACU is installed. I haven't found that controller yet. My Fluxgate compass is amidship, under the sole, tucked up and away. I had to stick my head in the bilge area and look up. A Leprechaun must have installed it. There is no set place for it to be. Just wherever the installer decided at that moment. Look low and center. Good luck.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sometimes you have to “swing the compass”…run the boat in a few circles to recalibrate.

my boat would do a ”Crazy Ivan”, and after I swung the compass, it was better.

Greg

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Thank you tally ho. Could you explain how you swing the compass. Is the auto pilot on? Is it engaged? How many circles? circles in bot directions? How many circles? Thanks for your help.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thank you tally ho. Could you explain how you swing the compass. Is the auto pilot on? Is it engaged? How many circles? circles in bot directions? How many circles? Thanks for your help.
Nope…just have the system on so the flux gate compass is active, and drive the boat in a few circles…I think 3 is sufficient and it only has to be in one direction.

Another thought is to make sure you haven’t put some metal near the flux gate compass. Mine is located in my bilge, and one time my bag of tools was placed on the cabin sole, near the bilge…and the AP was acting erratic…I moved the tool bag, and all was well.

Good luck.

Greg

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
The manual for the ST4000 explains the process to swing and calibrate it, and that's available online. You'll need that. Let us know if you can't find it. As for where the fluxgate is located, I have a 2009 H36, which is a sister to your 356, and the fluxgate compass is located in the forward cabin, port hanging locker, under the floor of it. Not too hard to get to, probably just a few screws and voila. I'd also check to see if perhaps you stowed anything big and metallic near the fluxgate compass, which could be causing you problems. It could even be in the port locker under the settee in the main cabin.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
I have a really different problem with my ST 4000. The unit begins to click and won’t properly turn. ihave checked the following:
The motor works​
the belt is not damaged​
the Teeth on the gears are all present.
the wheel moves freely with the autopilot disengaged​
Any thoughts?​

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have a really different problem with my ST 4000. The unit begins to click and won’t properly turn. Any thoughts?
Even though the integrity of the belt looks good, it may need to be tightened. Check owners manual for instructions on how to check tightness & adjustments.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On my H356 I think the fluxgate compass was in the aft cabin, kind of under the binnacle. I don't remember the mounting details.
My autopilot did crazy Ivans too. I never fully trusted it.
It isn't an endearing policy of Raymarine and other electronics mani's to discontinue support for older units. I can see that they don't want to keep a stock of parts (Although they should). But to cut off access to technical support is unconscionable in my opinion.

• Helpful
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
But to cut off access to technical support is unconscionable in my opinion.
They still do tech support but you must join their website group. [need Serial number/Model to join]
1) Search the knowledge base.
2) No luck, submit a question
3) An Expert will respond usually within a day

Or

Contact a Certified Raymarine Tech.

Jim...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
My autopilot did crazy Ivans too. I never fully trusted it.
My fluxgate compass was mounted on the aft berth bulkhead in the space between the transom and berth bulkhead. My original set up included a rudder rotary reference accessory. When the auto pilot started the crazy Ivan problem, I replaced the entire system with a Raymarine Evo 100 wheel kit, upon the advice of a retired Ray Marine tech that did repairs in his home workshop. The course computer, compass, and drive motor are better than the 4000+; however, the wheel is exactly the same.....plastic gears that are prone to deteriorating.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have a different boat but mine is under the galley sink inside the cabinet. Very accessible.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
my fluxgate was under the nav station..... I'm replacing my 4000+ with an evo the control head (no ACU on the 4000+) went out, same results with raymarine - they were helpful, but no parts no repairs, and not cost effective anyway. They did say that the wheel pilot was the same so if that works OK, save it for a spareto use while the new one is repaired; as Bigeasy said, the plastic gears inside are prone to failure.