Running out of hair to pull out!!

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all......again,
After running this problem last week and receiving some good advice, I find myself in the same boat....still. The leak is now a bit worse and enough to trip the bilge pump. It is still ONLY raw water and I still cannot determine where this leak is coming from...only while the engine is running. I'm suspecting that maybe there's a crack in the back of the heat exchanger where it meets against the back of the engine?? If there was a crack in the exhaust manifold, I would assume the antifreeze would also be leaking, which it is not. So, I guess my next step is to pull the x-changer and examine. Has anyone had this kind of problem?

Hi all,
Just discovered a new engine cooling problem that really has me scratching my head.
I have a 97 MKIII, with a 25XPA.
Being one of those almost nonexistent owners with a dry bilge; I noticed about 1/2” of raw water in my bilge after running the engine for about an hour. The engine runs at a perfect 160 degrees consistently.
My first thought was the stuffing box, which I found to be set perfectly. Next, I noticed the muffler had hairline cracks around the intake and discharge tubes and has a very slight leak. I marine texted them and stopped that leak. I have a new muffler on order. But, this did not stop the leak I was searching for. I checked ALL of the raw water hoses…no leaks or even stray moisture. The same for the heat exchanger. I did notice a 5 second drip from under the oil pan while running but, for the life of me, cannot find its source! My raw water pump is new and checks out. My raw water intake thru-hull checks out. The raw water filter checks out as do all of the hoses in. Has anyone had this problem?
Please help, I’m pulling out whatever hair I have left.

Thanks to all and Happy Sailing,

Ralph

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Not being in the neighbourhood, is the water salt or fresh ?

I did notice a 5 second drip from under the oil pan while running but, for the life of me, cannot find its source!
Is this "5 second drip" oil or water ? If it's water, it's most likely coming from the engine. Try jamming in wads of clean dry paper towel into every crevice on the engine and run the engine without its cover for a short period at the dock and then pull the paper until you find one that's wet.

Still no luck ? Is the problem still occurring ?

Like you, I also have a bone dry bilge in which I store paper towel. A couple of times I've had a small amount of salt water appear in the bilge and no possible source found. It then disappeared on its own. Small pools of water can be stored in the damndest places and then leak back into the bilge through a limber hole. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Not being in the neighbourhood, is the water salt or fresh ?

Is this "5 second drip" oil or water ? If it's water, it's most likely coming from the engine. Try jamming in wads of clean dry paper towel into every crevice on the engine and run the engine without its cover for a short period at the dock and then pull the paper until you find one that's wet.

Still no luck ? Is the problem still occurring ?

Like you, I also have a bone dry bilge in which I store paper towel. A couple of times I've had a small amount of salt water appear in the bilge and no possible source found. It then disappeared on its own. Small pools of water can be stored in the damndest places and then leak back into the bilge through a limber hole. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
100% Atlantic Salt.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Not familiar with your boat, so this is a generic answer. Check your rudder shaft packing. Do you have an ice box? Most drain into bilge.