Yanmar 3jh3e alternator upgrade

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Recently, we went on a trip. After 4 days, our batteries were depleted to 58%. Returning to home port, we power sailed. It took about 7 hours for the batteries to charge back up to 100%. That seems a little excessive to me. Just wondering if an alternator change might help. May have to look at putting in better solar panels as well.

Thoughts?
Gary

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Too many variables and unknowns to make an informed judgment -

Size and condition of batteries?
Size and condition of alternator?
Alternator rating at speed.
Wiring and connections condition?
Draw on batteries while underway?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
In addition to all of the above, do you have an external alternator regulator ? Stock alternators are not intended for charging marine house batteries.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
I'll have to check. I replaced the house batteries last year, so I'm good there. It's a 2002 Hunter 386, so I'm sure what ever is there is stock.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I was having a similar situation with my Yanmar 4jh4e with an 80 amp dumb alt. Just could not charge the batteries enough before it got hot and cut output. I listened to Maine Sail and bought through him a Balmar 150 amp alt with a mc-614 regulator and serpentine belt. System charges batteries in no time. Great addition and could not recommend him enough.... great guy, knowledgeable and had the best price.

Greg

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have a 150 Balmar with a 614. We have had some 100 deg weather and I'm finding I need to supply dedicated cooling to the alternator..

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I have a 150 Balmar with a 614. We have had some 100 deg weather and I'm finding I need to supply dedicated cooling to the alternator..
could you expand on what you did, and why you chose what you did?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
have you Drop back the alt output? Using the belt load manager in the regulator I brought my output to 135 amps. Keeps the alt from maxing out and thus keeps it running cooler. Also when I am charging and it’s hot I will open an engine compartment panel slightly and I watch the temp of the alt drop….

I want to add a blower that pushes air right in front of the alt to keep it cool as well.

greg

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
What is Belt Load Manager set to?
What temp is your alternator temp sensor set for?
What is your battery bank, brand, model and Ah capacity?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
What is Belt Load Manager set to?
What temp is your alternator temp sensor set for?
What is your battery bank, brand, model and Ah capacity?
We just finished a three week trip and have been thinking about this. All good questions
-Belt mgr set to two
-I did not change the default setting. So it should be set for 107C. Have not verified this. Do you have a better setting?
-Batts are four Dyno GC batts in one bank. ACR to a 12V. All are FLA
-Advisory code is also telling me that batt temp connection is open. Need to look at that…

Also, I found out that the advisory codes need to be manually reset. Early on (years) I think I ran it without the alt temp sensor for a bit So this code could have around for awhile. Had to call Balmar for help there as the manual is not specific. They are just 1/2 hr down the road. Two days ago after resetting, I checked and no alt advisory code. So, some testing is in order. This alternator spins fast at cruise so I can charge on the hook without going to cruise speed and still get a decent output. Going to verify speeds again also..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We just finished a three week trip and have been thinking about this. All good questions
-Belt mgr set to two
-I did not change the default setting. So it should be set for 107C. Have not verified this. Do you have a better setting?
-Batts are four Dyno GC batts in one bank. ACR to a 12V. All are FLA
-Advisory code is also telling me that batt temp connection is open. Need to look at that…

Also, I found out that the advisory codes need to be manually reset. Early on (years) I think I ran it without the alt temp sensor for a bit So this code could have around for awhile. Had to call Balmar for help there as the manual is not specific. They are just 1/2 hr down the road. Two days ago after resetting, I checked and no alt advisory code. So, some testing is in order. This alternator spins fast at cruise so I can charge on the hook without going to cruise speed and still get a decent output. Going to verify speeds again also..
Oh ya..This alternator is on a new Beta 35. Beta really tucks them in close to the engine. I’m going to see if I can swing it out a bit more. I would love to use the hairpin design but the output lug would hit the heat exchanger..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Oh ya..This alternator is on a new Beta 35. Beta really tucks them in close to the engine. I’m going to see if I can swing it out a bit more. I would love to use the hairpin design but the output lug would hit the heat exchanger..
Concerning my statement on alternator overtemp. If I ran without a sensor, it would have recorded a no connection. So, I actually had an over temp situation. Just don’t know when..My previous statement was wrong. That bulb just lit!!

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Not sure I understand your question. I made some replies above. Let me know if more info needed.
I was trying to understand if you put a blower to suck cool air in or to pull the hot air out of the engine compartment.