Cat 22 Outboard Options

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Looking to replace a 2000 Nissan 5HP.
Boat has yet to be launched and considering a Tohatsu 8HP Elect. Start and Alternator
Boat will be moored and is on Solar Charge only
Is there a concern about weight if the HP is increased from 5HP to 9.8 HP
Aware we need a 20" Shaft, but beyond that not sure this old Nissan will do the job for open Gulf Sailing
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Six horse is the overwhelming favorite around here, unless electric start is important to you.

Most electric-start people seem to land on Yamaha 9.9's for some reason, and I've seen a few of them running around. (A former member here had one.) Their owners say that while the weight is not ideal, it's also not a major issue ... which tells me a Tohatsu 8 should be okay.

Side note. We have a 20" shaft, but I'd have a 24" if I bought a new motor tomorrow. It makes me nervous having to lower the motor into its lowest setting to keep the prop in the water in rough conditions.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Why not use the nissan until you have actually tried it ? The 6 hp tohatsu has the Cat22 at max hull speed when running at part throttle. That 5hp nissan cant be that much different if it has the right prop.

As Gene says, the 24" shaft makes a difference in bigger waves.

Is the Nissan a 4 stroke ? There is a chance that the Nissan 5hp is actually. the Tohatsu 5hp with different paint.

The current 4,5 and 6 hp 4 stroke tohatsu/nissan are all the same motor with différent carbs and props. They sell upgrade kits with the carb/prop.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Side note. We have a 20" shaft, but I'd have a 24" if I bought a new motor tomorrow. It makes me nervous having to lower the motor into its lowest setting to keep the prop in the water in rough conditions.
Easy enough to swap parts and make yours a 24". Cant be that expensive for the drive shaft, shift rod, coolant pipe and housing extension.:biggrin:

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I just did the upgrade from 6 hp to. 9.8 with 25" shaft Tohatsu on my Catalina 22. I wanted electric start and the altenator I love it. There are some weight and balance issues to address. I had to add 75 pounds of weight to the front of the trailer to get the toungue weight to 10%of the total trailer wieght. This was needed since I leave the motor on now and do not remove it for trailering. I also added two batteries up in the small storage area under the v-birth to balnce the boat on the water. I used the motor mount from Catalina Direct with three springs. The balance is perfect with the weight of the motor. An important part of the motor mount was I had to move it higher up the CD recommends in the drawing that came with the mount. I first followed the drawings and on the sea trial the motor head and mounting plate were way down in the water when under power, I had to run it with the motor not all the way down until I fixed it. I moved it up 4.5 inches and it is now perfect. I also used a 1/2" piece of plywood to make a backing plate for the motor to help support while trailering. If your interested in more info shoot me a pm and I can send pictures or answer questions. IMG_0020.JPG

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Is the Nissan a 4 stroke ? There is a chance that the Nissan 5hp is actually. the Tohatsu 5hp with different paint.

The current 4,5 and 6 hp 4 stroke tohatsu/nissan are all the same motor with différent carbs and props. They sell upgrade kits with the carb/prop.
Tohatsu makes all the under-30HP outboards for Nissan, Evinrude and Mercury, if I recall correctly. Nothing different but the stickers.

Easy enough to swap parts and make yours a 24". Cant be that expensive for the drive shaft, shift rod, coolant pipe and housing extension.:biggrin:
Hah! If I had time for that, I'd spend it SAILING!!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hah! If I had time for that, I'd spend it SAILING!!
Just do it when it needs a new impeller. :biggrin:

Sailing.. What's that ? Last year it stayed on the trailer and the year before it sat at the dock.:banghead:
This year it in the water and getting used... Lord knows what the average cost per nm is.
We have almost given up on trailering it around, so i keep looking at bigger boats with full standing headroom. Bad idea I suspect.:oops: