Parts and Support for Seawards?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I'm now actively shopping for either a Seaward 26RK or a Hunter 260. My heart's with the Seaward but it might come down to what's on the market. Newer Seawards will be out of my price range. However, assuming I do buy a Seaward, I'm wondering about parts support now that the company has closed and IPY no longer makes them. I know that most of the parts on the boat are standard items--rigging, and such. But the keel, rudder, and some other items that might potentially need to be replaced are proprietary. What would a person's options be if, say, they had a rudder or keel strike that required replacement? Does IPY (or anyone else) have an inventory of parts?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't know the answer but it's a good question. You could contact IPY to see if they support the Sewards any longer.
I think most the Seaward's are here in Florida where the re-tractable keel shines. I wonder how many got to the PNW.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I have not found parts support or sourcing an issue over many years of owning sail and power boats. Rarely do I have an opportunity to replace a part in-kind (I can provide many examples) UNLESS it is for a major part like an engine, refrigerator toilet, etc. I would only be concerned if the engine parts and labor were no longer supported. The fact that a boat company is out of business and parts are not longer supported would not deter me from purchasing that boat. Make an inventory of all the boat's components, their manufacturer and model and you will surprised how many different part suppliers are used to fabricate a boat. Plus there are plenty of aftermarket suppliers of custom parts like rudders, used and salvage boat yards, consignment shops AND custom design/fabrication part suppliers. For example, when I went to source replacement Perko portlights on a 37-year old boat I could not purchase them in-kind since Perko stopped manufacturing them and were not an off the shelf size so I had them custom designed/fabricated.

Don't pass up a boat just because it no longer manufactuered or parts suported.........as it just adds to the fun of sourcing replacement parts.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Only 2 places you will find keels or rudders for a 26rk. Island Packet for the newer ones they made, or Nick Hake. I would call Nick for suggestions and see how active he is these days. Find out what design changes were made (there were several) to help with your search and pricing. FWIW, the seaward will sail better and be more stable than the hunter, but the hunter will have more room inside. Look at both.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Going from memory here: Is the 26RK keel made of cast iron? If so I'd avoid it, especially if your boat will be kept in saltwater. I used to own a boat with a cast iron keel (Shark 24) and the constant rust/leaching was an annual maintenance issue in saltwater. I tried every recommended encapsulation technique over my 8 years of owning that boat, and nothing worked well.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
FWIW, the seaward will sail better and be more stable than the hunter, but the hunter will have more room inside. Look at both.
Yes, that about sums it up. The Seaward is also about 60 percent more expensive, comparing the same age of boat. I think the Seaward might well be worth the extra money, but it's dangling out there right at the limit of my budget, even for the oldest examples on the market.

Jun 14, 2010
snip - but it's dangling out there right at the limit of my budget, even for the oldest examples on the market.
Obviously you're smitten, but if the oldest examples are at the edge of your budget --consider adding the needed maintenance/upgrade expenses on top of the purchase price. There will be unexpected costs.

Jun 14, 2010
When I use the word "budget," that's part of what I mean.
Sounds like you've made up your mind and you're looking for endorsements. Only you can decide what's best for you - go for it and enjoy. :clap:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Sounds like you've made up your mind and you're looking for endorsements. Only you can decide what's best for you - go for it and enjoy. :clap:
Explanation, please? I don't understand your comment, in the context.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
You really can't go wrong with either. The 260 does have some advantages. Easier trailering, easier to get parts (maybe). Easier to raise the mast and rig somewhat. More room inside. The Seaward design has a soft spot for me though. Personally, I'd look for a creampuff of a 25, not the RK. Less money and more room inside, and you won't have to worry about the various design issues with the keel and rudder over the years. Too bad I'm not selling ours anytime soon...all set up for cruising, new sails, refrigeration, and the list goes on .:)

Last edited: