Shore Power Light Bulb

Jul 13, 2021
Yamaha 33 Oak Bay
Hi,

We have a '79 Yamaha 33 and I'm trying to find a replacement bulb for the shore power panel. It shows as a 220V, but that doesn't make sense to me, other than it will not be as bright. Does anyone know what the correct bulb is for the panel?

Thanks,
Scott

2021-07-13_12-55-48.jpg
2021-07-13_12-56-56.jpg
2021-07-13_12-57-23.jpg
2021-07-13_12-58-01.jpg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Measure the voltage in the bulb socket. Mine is a red LED with series resistor. Change the bulb fixture, you can install a neon bulb indicator.

Jul 13, 2021
Yamaha 33 Oak Bay
I'll check the voltage in the next day or so and see where we're at. Thanks for the tip on the socket change. I'd prefer to not get into major surgery just for a small light... unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks,
Scott.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I'll bet a dozen doughnuts the voltage is 115, as it's in a 115v panel and there's likely nowhere for 220 to be found.

I'll surmise the higher voltage bulb was used to make it dimmer.

Based on the measurements, looks like a Candelabra base. Based on the shape, looks like a T3.
Search for T3 Candelabra, as T3 is also a halogen size.

Example: 15 watt 130 volt T3 Candelabra Screw Base Clear

But that's 15W, which would be way too bright. If'n it was my boat, I'd replace the entire fixture with something like: Amazon.com: Baomain LED Indicator Pilot Light AD16-22D AC 110V 20mA Energy Saving Green 2 Pack: Home Improvement

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'll surmise the higher voltage bulb was used to make it dimmer.
I think you are on a likely path. Either intentional or it was the first bulb found that fit the fixture. When it worked it was left till the boat was sold or it burned out.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
That is a good choice, Scott. You will not have to replace it again. You may consider replacing remaining indicator bulbs to LED just so they all look the same. They may be 12v indicator fixtures. Visit digikey.com for wide choices. I am not affiliated with them.
Neon indicator bulbs are commonly used on power strip switches and on many other appliances.
Haro

Jul 13, 2021
Yamaha 33 Oak Bay
I was down at the boat yesterday and it is 115v. From what I'd found online it looked like an E10 base, but it's actually 11mm. We have a dining room light fixture with Candelabra bulbs and it's the same, so it is an E12. Thank you for the Candelabra tip.

So, it looks like it's a T3 with an E12 base like this one sent in an earlier reply: Example: 15 watt 130 volt T3 Candelabra Screw Base Clear

Thank you for all the help,
Scott

May 26, 2022
West Wight Potter 36 mkII Miami
Hey, never done a replacement bulb for shore power panels, I believe you can't try to install any bulb you can find with a 220v voltage with the appropriate size. You can look for good bulb options on amazon or visit this website lightingandsupplies.com which has a selection of bulbs, so I am sure you will find a good option for replacing the bulb on your shore power panel. If you find a solution, please share it here. I'm very interested to see if such a bulb can be made! Thanks in advance for sharing!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022
Catalina 34 Chicago
Hi
That's right, measure the voltage in the lamp socket. Most likely (I suspect so), it's 220 at the most. I have never replaced a light bulb for shore power panels. But it seems to me that you can try to install any bulb you can find that has a 220V voltage and is the right size.
I ordered bright light bulbs from a specialty website for my studio and consulted with the site manager.
You can find good bulb options on Amazon or visit this website which has a selection of bulbs, so I am sure you will find a good option for replacing the bulb on your shore power panel. If you find a solution, please share it here. I am very interested to see if such a bulb can be made! Thanks in advance for sharing!

Last edited: