Irwin 37CC non skid pattern

Oct 8, 2016
1979 Irwin 37CC MK4 Middle River MD
I'm the proud new owner of a 1979 Irwin 37CC. Needs work (what boat doesn't). I need to make repairs to the molded nonskid on the deck and have found a company, Gibco Flex-Mold Non-Skid Solutions, that has hundreds of molds for different boat manufacturers but the do not list Irwin. Does anyone know the patteren used in the deck mold or if the pattern was used by another manufacturer. going to get a picture tomorrow and I'll post it tomorrow night.

Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Contact Gibco Flexmold at info@gibcoflexmold.com with a photo of the non-skid with a penny on it and they will send you samples to match. Just did that for a 1984 boat I plan to repair and paint the non-skid.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on your new boat. Welcome to you to your first posted inquiry.

The Gibco Flexmold sure appears to be a clever way to solve a tricky issue.

Here is an old way to create a mold of your existing gel coat.

Oct 8, 2016
1979 Irwin 37CC MK4 Middle River MD
Thanks sail sfbay penny trick makes sense now I just have to break a dollar to get one (who uses cash in post covid.... LOL) jssailem, I had found the vids you attached but I'm still working on getting up to speed on which gel coat to buy for repairs let alone multiple material handling. Thanks to you both for the help. This my first forum ever, looking forward to participating more in the future.

Feb 21, 2013
......getting up to speed on which gel coat to buy for repairs...........
My plan is to repair the non skid chips with gelcoat then paint the non-skid with Algrip topcoat......this is a 4 part system. Topcoat mixed with a converter, reducer and flattening agent (to reduce the gloss) without a non-skid additive.

Oct 22, 2014
Sail SFBay... Is this a "thin" coat that goes over the molded original non-skid?
This would mean you will clean the non-skid but not rough (sand) it up before the application.

I wonder how that will hold as most paint applications recommend sanding the surface to get both a chemical and physical bond to the surface.

Feb 21, 2013
Sail SFBay... Is this a "thin" coat that goes over the molded original non-skid?
This would mean you will clean the non-skid but not rough (sand) it up before the application. I wonder how that will hold as most paint applications recommend sanding the surface to get both a chemical and physical bond to the surface.
My understanding per Awlgrip is 2 1.5 to 2.5 mils wet coats will result in a 2-3 mil dry film thickness. They advised me to sand with 220-320 grit paper, clean, apply primer (will verify the order) before applying Topcoat cocktail. Mix by volume two parts Awlgrip Topcoat base component with one part AWL-CAT #3/H3002 Brushing Converter until one smooth, homogenous mixture is obtained, then reduce 25% to 33% with Awlgrip T0031. Then add flattener to reduce gloss to the desired level. Allow 16 hours between each coat. Sand between coats with 280 to 400 grit paper will provide a smoother finish. I am interviewing boat contractors, who are interested in performing this project, to make sure they have experience, understand the application procedure that will end up with a really good finished product I will be happy with. A small sample will be applied first to gauge what the finished product will look like.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Sounds conservative. a good plan. My molded nonskid has a plethora of tiny square indents. How do you sand inside the indent?

Probably would not work unless you blasted the boat with some sort of fine media.