reefing blocks for oday 322

Jun 10, 2021
oday 322 havre de grace
Can anyone tell me a reefing block that works well on an oday322. also i believe i need four of the same block is that correct. to the best of my knowledge all of the rigging is the original factory delivrred setup with no modifications. thank you

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have set up reefing on my O’Day 322 two different ways…
1) I put reefing hooks on the gooseneck, reef lines through the boom, pulling down on the clew.
2) small blocks on the reef crinkles, reef lines run from the cockpit, up to the mast, up through the blocks, down to block at base of mast, back up the mast and through the boom, and the pulling down on the clew…

Obviously, #1 is way simpler, and I think made a tighter reef.

But, #2 can be done from the cockpit…I can reef or shake out a reef without going to the mast.

I am using #2 currently after I installed a Tides Marine Strong Track and I got rid of some of the friction in the sail.

I don’t think I have any photos, it I will look and see…

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
I found a shot of the mast…
You can see some of the turning blocks and the small block on the reef crinkle on the left.

6FC77DAC-75CD-42EF-8D65-90A456C87F54.jpeg

Greg

Jun 10, 2021
oday 322 havre de grace
Dave and Greg thank you for you responses. Greg I have watched a lot of your youtube videos. They have been really helpful as a reference/sanity check especially tje one you did about your engine bed. Thanks again.

Jan 7, 2011
Dave and Greg thank you for you responses. Greg I have watched a lot of your youtube videos. They have been really helpful as a reference/sanity check especially tje one you did about your engine bed. Thanks again.
She is a great boat…

Enjoy!

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
This is the setup on my 322, except the end of the tack line comes back down from the cringle to the base of the mast.
4819BC47-5EF9-4F46-84E9-5F84C8AEE99E.jpeg

The clew line usually needs a tug to overcome the friction (I don’t want pulleys on my cringles.)

Jan 7, 2011
This is the setup on my 322, except the end of the tack line comes back down from the cringle to the base of the mast.
View attachment 195071
The clew line usually needs a tug to overcome the friction (I don’t want pulleys on my cringles.)
That is interesting…no block in my boom…Z Spar IIRC.

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
Theoretically it brings the tack and the clew down at the same time. Theoretically.

Jun 10, 2021
oday 322 havre de grace
Do you guys think I can put a balancing block inside my boom? Or does the boom need to be made for it?

Jan 2, 2017
Don’t know for sure but, if my boat is anything to go by, 322 booms can handle them.

Jan 7, 2011
Don’t know for sure but, if my boat is anything to go by, 322 booms can handle them.
Do you know if you have a Z Spar boom?

I wonder if that is original?

I don’t recall the O’Day 322 owners manual showing the balancing block.

Greg

Jun 10, 2021
oday 322 havre de grace
the cable is the out haul. the other two lines are the reef lines. at the front of the boom the two center pulleys have pawls on them.

Jan 7, 2011
the cable is the out haul. the other two lines are the reef lines. at the front of the boom the two center pulleys have pawls on them.
I have 2 pawls at the front of the boom too.

Maybe I need to open the boom and see what else is in there :facepalm:

But I think the reef lines run straight through on mine.

Greg

Jun 10, 2021
oday 322 havre de grace
funny i cleaned a birds nest out of there twice in the fall. my reffing linrs do run straight through.