Bio-Blitz and shake down cruise

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Why the University of California wants to know how many Sea Stars we have around our little island I’ll never know but last week we got about 10% of our local population climbing over a rocky shoreline to count and classify them. They are making a comeback after several years of wasting disease. Bev and I did the Java Islets just off the southern shore of Saturna Island during a thunder storm that coincided with the low tide. It was then off to Port Browning for the night, dinner out and meet up with friends.
The next day we had a great sail out of Plumper Sound and into Boundary Pass on our way to Narvaez Bay for a couple of days
6F29006A-46D4-4D51-9730-50F39CB9EF3C.jpeg Always a great view of Mt Baker.
C8647D78-3CD9-450D-899B-341C521D1C53.jpeg Friends along to share the joy.
Next we motored around East Point, a brief encounter with a mother Humpback and her calf, then up to Bennett Bay on Mayne Island.
25F7FFA2-B1C1-464F-9431-F99F17826535.jpeg Sun Gypsy alone in the bay.
E3866866-6F0B-47C2-95FE-88B9CBACFE24.jpeg My Baker is almost always in view.
To end our trip we spent a quiet couple of days in Winter Cove before heading home to Lyall Harbour.52132D4F-93A2-4060-A024-C05A37BE5DD5.jpeg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Very nice, Michael. If you would please submit a request to your Prime Minister, on our behalf, to reopen the border so that us southerners can venture north to share in your delights, such as they are.

Jan 5, 2017
Very nice, Michael. If you would please submit a request to your Prime Minister, on our behalf, to reopen the border so that us southerners can venture north to share in your delights, such as they are.
Thanks Terry. My request to the P.M. is in but you know they will never listen to a couple of old men like us.

• Ha
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Why the University of California wants to know how many Sea Stars we have around our little island I’ll never know but last week we got about 10% of our local population climbing over a rocky shoreline to count and classify them. They are making a comeback after several years of wasting disease. Bev and I did the Java Islets just off the southern shore of Saturna Island during a thunder storm that coincided with the low tide. It was then off to Port Browning for the night, dinner out and meet up with friends.
The next day we had a great sail out of Plumper Sound and into Boundary Pass on our way to Narvaez Bay for a couple of days
View attachment 194810 Always a great view of Mt Baker.
View attachment 194811 Friends along to share the joy.
Next we motored around East Point, a brief encounter with a mother Humpback and her calf, then up to Bennett Bay on Mayne Island.
View attachment 194813 Sun Gypsy alone in the bay.
View attachment 194814 My Baker is almost always in view.
To end our trip we spent a quiet couple of days in Winter Cove before heading home to Lyall Harbour.View attachment 194815
What are the currents like in Georgeson Passage?

Jan 5, 2017
What are the currents like in Georgeson Passage?
Hi Mark
Depends on the height of the tide of coarse but can run about six knots on a large change. Easier to navigate than Boat Passage though.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Michael, Something tells me you and Bev are enjoying the extra solitude a bit too much!:biggrin:
Great pics as always!

Jan 5, 2017
Michael, Something tells me you and Bev are enjoying the extra solitude a bit too much!:biggrin:
Great pics as always!
Hi Ward
Solitude is something pretty easy to find up here. Maybe harder in the south during normal times but these last couple of years has been like going back to my youth as far as local anchorages go. When we go to the mid- coast we often go a couple of weeks without seeing another cruising boat and one boat anchorages are the norm.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Hi Ward
Solitude is something pretty easy to find up here. Maybe harder in the south during normal times but these last couple of years has been like going back to my youth as far as local anchorages go. When we go to the mid- coast we often go a couple of weeks without seeing another cruising boat and one boat anchorages are the norm.
I find it hard to imagine. As you know I had a taste of it a few years back but I'm hoping to really experience it next summer. Until then I read your posts and look at your pics and dream.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks for the update, Michael. Longing to sail.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yeah...

If and when the border opens, will they take my word I have been vaccinated?:clap: or will they seek a Vaccine passport...:cowbell::kick:

• Ha
Jan 5, 2017
Yeah...

If and when the border opens, will they take my word I have been vaccinated?:clap: or will they seek a Vaccine passport...:cowbell::kick:
I believe that is still under discussion. I hear some European countries plus Australia, New Zealand are wanting that. I’m keeping my little card that says I’m done just in case.