H170 centerboard bent straps.. What is it supposed to look like?

May 21, 2021
Hunter Hunter 170 Bricktown, NJ
I'm a new Hunter 170 owner. The stainless straps attaching the control line to the centerboard are all bent out of shape. They can't be in the right configuration.
The owners manual I found online line shows 2 stainless straps forming an oval with a stud holding the straps ends together at a fixed distance.
One end of the oval has a small shackle. What does the other end do? Does it go into the eyebolt on the centerboard? The current setup is attached to double ended snap hook that is attached to the eyebolt. How is is supposed to be setup? Are the straps supposed to hinge at the stud?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new 170!! I assume below is what you are referring to. Can you please post a photo of what you have now?

1622487674558.png

Last edited:
May 21, 2021
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new 170!! I assume below is what you are referring to. Can you please post a photo of what you have now?

View attachment 194729
Thanks for your reply. That is exactly what I'm asking about.

I'm actually the dad of the owner and now the conscripted naval engineer. I hear from the favorite eldest daughter (owner) that the previous owner mentioned having done some repair work. The install location of the center stud must have ripped out and he improvised by adding an eye bolt. After studying this diagram, I can't imagine why he kept the original SS straps. They're just a botch job. The centerboard lifts and drops OK. We are running without the ability to add the keep-it-down bungee.

I'm thinking to replace the SS straps and doubled-ended snap with a 3/8 line and replace the missing shackle on the fixed end of control line.

The next page of the owners manual shows two holes near the top of the centerboard. What are the functions of each? Is the top most where the SS straps attached? What attaches to the other hole?

I've attached pictures of the centerboard up and the centerboard down.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I noted the owner's manual was silent on the function of the 2 holes at the upper left of the centerboard. Hopefully, the 170 owner's will advise. Good luck.
1622552596581.png

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Keep in mind that once the centerboard is down you should attached a bungee to the bale that the pulley on the centerboard attaches to such that it will help hold the centerboard in the down position (or up, depending on how your boat is oriented after capsizing). Otherwise, you could be without the leverage needed to right the boat.

It looks like the previous owner has a regular rope attached to the eyebolt for this purpose. Not such a good idea, I think. This would not allow the centerboard to swing up if it struck bottom, like a bungee would.

May 21, 2021
Here's how mine is set up. Funny, I never realized my rig deviated from the manual's configuration. Certainly makes working the centerboard easy.
Thank you very much for taking and posting that picture.

Another reply in this thread mentioned attaching a bungee to keep the centerboard extended in case of capsizing. You don't have the rear facing band that the bungee would attach to. Maybe you can find a good attachment point. I'll have to invent something.

May 21, 2021
Keep in mind that once the centerboard is down you should attached a bungee to the bale that the pulley on the centerboard attaches to such that it will help hold the centerboard in the down position (or up, depending on how your boat is oriented after capsizing). Otherwise, you could be without the leverage needed to right the boat.
<Jaw drop> Yes, I want my centerboard to remain extended.

The centerboard must have broken where the 2 straps attach. I'm thinking to put those straps back, in a new hole, and add plates on both sides to reinforce the bolt hole. Then I can go back to an almost original set up.

Apr 11, 2020
Your solution sounds plausible. I saw that repair and thought "Man, that had to have taken a lot of force!"

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020
Thank you very much for taking and posting that picture.

Another reply in this thread mentioned attaching a bungee to keep the centerboard extended in case of capsizing. You don't have the rear facing band that the bungee would attach to. Maybe you can find a good attachment point. I'll have to invent something.
On my 170, there is a small loop strap mounted just fore of the mainsheet pulley that I use for this purpose.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
If your 170 turtles there is no bungee cord from west marine or home depot that will prevent the centerboard from coming down like a paper cutter on you when least expect it to. Dont use it. That centerboard weighs about 70 lbs empty and yours is probably waterlogged and has another 15 value of water between the foam and glass. It's not balanced at all and takes about 100 to 150lbs of force to get the centerboard at the peak raised point. That's why you see owner mods to create a three part purchase to get the force on the line down to 20-30 lbs force.

I would look into using a soft shackle through the centerboard and small bullet block. Those SS straps bend and metal bending is your warning before fatigue.

Try not to trailer with the centerboard raised and held up with just line and clam cleats..try to rest centerboard on something soft so it can handle potholes and bumps.

Apr 11, 2020
Good words, there Bobby. Makes sense. I might look at some sort of "designed for failure" connection there like I have done for the rudder hold-down on my Mac 26S.
I realized early on that the centerboard needed supporting, so added a treated 4x4 to the trailer for that purpose. (See photo)

Attachments

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
There should be an easy way to grip the centerboard from the bottom of the hull so if it folds up into the pocket it can be pulled out, even a drilled hole to put some extra 5mm line or something in it.

I was a moron sailing and bounced the centerboard many times. Easy way to panic is to watch the bungee cord tighten up like steel knowing it could snap at you as you ride up the sandbar with 12 knot behind you. Just let it rise up! Then focus on maneuvers or getting the rudder up/sails down fast.