Transmission bracket issue

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
As I start to poke around deeper into our newly acquired C-310 I've come across a few issues, (I'll post my questions/issues separately for better search-ability for future readers).

There's a bracket that comes off the transmission that holds the transmission cable in place. Based off of my completely novice guess, it seems like the fasteners weren't stainless steel and corroded, affecting the bracket arm. It seems to me like the cable itself is protected in a sheath, but please let me know if that looks problematic too.

What's the fix for this? Can I pull the bracket arm off, clean it with a wire brush, repaint, and get some better fasteners? Or do I need a new bracket arm? And, if I need a new bracket arm, is that available as a part somewhere, or do I need to pull it off and bring to a machine shop to fabricate a new one?

If I'm not calling these things by their correct terms it's because I'm a newbie drinking from the firehose. I've found a few threads about replacing the cable(s), but if that's not required, I'd rather just fix the bracket arm at this point.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
this is just a maintenance item. Sand and paint. In general I do some touch up painting on my boat every year. Every 3-5 years I do a partial disassemble of the engine for a more complete paint job. I will start with a flaking off any loose paint. then clean with a engine cleaner/degreaser. some sanding and then paint. I get the same color as original from a Westerbeke dealer.

For the cable it's self I will lubricate with 3 in 1 oil. I also changed out the end of the cable at the transmission. The clip onto the ball joint system is flawed and can disconnect. Yamaha makes a spring loaded system that is much more reliable and screws right onto the cable.

fair winds

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
this is just a maintenance item. Sand and paint. In general I do some touch up painting on my boat every year. Every 3-5 years I do a partial disassemble of the engine for a more complete paint job. I will start with a flaking off any loose paint. then clean with a engine cleaner/degreaser. some sanding and then paint. I get the same color as original from a Westerbeke dealer.

For the cable it's self I will lubricate with 3 in 1 oil. I also changed out the end of the cable at the transmission. The clip onto the ball joint system is flawed and can disconnect. Yamaha makes a spring loaded system that is much more reliable and screws right onto the cable.

fair winds
Perfect. Thank you!