Is Michigan open for cruising this summer

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
Looking for some Lake Michigan destinations this summer. I would like to visit Beaver Island, Mackinac Island and Grand Traverse Bay. But if everything is closed, I'll just stay on the Wisconsin side and cruise Green Bay.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
It sounds like we'll be open. For the most part, the mask mandates have been lifted as long as you've been vaccinated. From what I could see Mackinac Island will be open. We were thinking of heading there (via land, it'd take a long time on my catalina 22) for vacation this summer and the hotels were all taking reservations.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I called a motel in Alpina last week and was told they weren't able to take reservations just yet . How recent have the changes been made ?

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
FWIW we are transporting our boat from Benton Harbor to Lake Superior in June. I've been pre-emptively booking a few slips in advance, the state harbors all appear to be open and available for reservations via the DNR website.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Add Leland MI to your list of places to visit, this little fishing community is rather quaint with easy access, they have kept many of the building maintained at least in appearance kinda like stepping back to the early 1900's. Grand Traverse is nice but I prefer Little Traverse/Petoskey easier to get to with a very nice marina.

May 10, 2004
Add Leland MI to your list of places to visit, this little fishing community is rather quaint with easy access, they have kept many of the building maintained at least in appearance kinda like stepping back to the early 1900's. Grand Traverse is nice but I prefer Little Traverse/Petoskey easier to get to with a very nice marina.
planned to stop on our way North. Depending on wind we'll cross to Frankfort or Manistee and then make our way North.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I would say that Frankfort would be better than Manistee as Manistee River has a pretty good current from what I understand and there is a bridge which needs to be opened in order to get to the marina. Frankfort is another one of those pretty little towns along the West coast of Lake Michigan with easy access.

May 10, 2004
I would say that Frankfort would be better than Manistee as Manistee River has a pretty good current from what I understand and there is a bridge which needs to be opened in order to get to the marina. Frankfort is another one of those pretty little towns along the West coast of Lake Michigan with easy access.
We've been to Manistee a couple times. The Municipal Marina is on the Lake Michigan side of the bridge , has a really nice clubhouse and is in walking distance of some nice restaurant and deli stops.
Going to Frankfort from Manitowoc is a really long day, but it depends on the wind direction.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I have not been to Manistee I am only repeating what I was told, I guess I was misinformed, I am sure both places are absolutely wonderful. Fair winds and calm seas have a great trip.