Maiden voyage

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
We brought our new-to-us 310 from alameda to San Mateo yesterday. We were a very green crew enjoying steady high teens, with gusts up to 25 kts. My brother-in-law got overly excited and fell in while docking, but that was the only casualty (he was smart enough to not have his phone in his pocket). We could not be more excited! We have a lot to learn and we’re honored to join such a great community of sailors.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Looking good! She is a bit different then your 22!

Oh order this and get a cover on that ignition key to keep moisture out.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020
Looking good! She is a bit different then your 22!

Oh order this and get a cover on that ignition key to keep moisture out.

Good call! I'll add it to the list.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
What, no pictures of the BIL in the water?

Congratulations! Great boat, great place to sail. We bought ours in Brisbane (California) and sailed it down to Santa Cruz. Welcome to the group.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.........We brought our new-to-us 310 from alameda to San Mateo yesterday. We were a very green crew enjoying steady high teens, with gusts up to 25 kts./QUOTE]

Glad to hear you had a safe trip. You will find that there is a lot of wind in that area of the San Francisco Bay, sometimes more than in the slot!! I will stop by and say hi on my next sail into Coyote Point.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..........We brought our new-to-us 310 from alameda to San Mateo yesterday. We were a very green crew enjoying steady high teens, with gusts up to 25 kts...........
You will find that part of the bay pretty windy, often more than in the slot. I will stop by on my next sail into Coyote Point.

Oct 1, 2020
iOS Image - 1336870031.jpg

Here’s the aftermath. He was a great sport about it… it was a slow-motion stretch from boat to dock that he eventually lost. I had a great view of it from the helm. I had *just* given the brief that there should be no need for athletic maneuvers. Reports are that my sister-in-law still hasn’t stopped laughing.

Oct 1, 2020
Glad he wasn’t hurt. He could have slammed his head into the dock or been cut up by oyster shells
I totally agree with the potential dangers, take full responsibility for this, and know I need to be better.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
we have all been there, sometimes it is hard to control adults and kids.

15knts is perfect for the 310, I can only dream of a future with consistent wind and direction. Gust to 25 with full sail should be no problem just make sure everything below is secured:) My daughter and I will jump at running RoseLeigh in high wind for the practice but with Mom on-board we reef and motor, a flat boat is a happy wife:)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I totally agree with the potential dangers, take full responsibility for this, and know I need to be better.
I recommend you check out the book Suddenly Overboard by Tom Lochhaas. It’s a collection of true stories of sailors in fatal trouble. In Chapter 4-Anchoring, Docking, and Dinghying- Lochhass recounts an occurrence in “Late to the Slip” of a sailor lost at the dock while he and his skipper were docking. :yikes: There are many similar accounts. It’s an eye-opener. Basic message throughout is to wear the PFD when aboard. Your friend clearly was not wearing his. I know you don’t wish your buddies to become material for a 2nd Edition!!

KG

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Glad he wasn’t hurt. He could have slammed his head into the dock or been cut up by oyster shells
See my post above #17. One potentially fatal outcome is that of quickly sinking if knocked unconscious, not wearing a PDF or being too heavy. The other thing. I know it’s a new boat and all, but the OP needs to learn and practice proper docking procedures. People should not be “stretching” out past the life lines. A floating craft like a smallish sailboat or dinghy offers little to no resistance against a push-way force. The victim end up further from the dock finger when s/he hits the water than when the attempt was begun if trying to push against the boat. Proper stepping on or off a boat at the dock finger is VERTICAL!!! People step off the boat when it is STOPPED and they are able to step down on the finger w/o having to push off the boat to reach it.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020
I recommend you check out the book Suddenly Overboard by Tom Lochhaas. It’s a collection of true stories of sailors in fatal trouble. In Chapter 4-Anchoring, Docking, and Dinghying- Lochhass recounts an occurrence in “Late to the Slip” of a sailor lost at the dock while he and his skipper were docking. :yikes: There are many similar accounts. It’s an eye-opener. Basic message throughout is to wear the PFD when aboard. Your friend clearly was not wearing his. I know you don’t wish your buddies to become material for a 2nd Edition!!

KG
Thank you for the reference. I’ll check it out.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Congrats on Your New Purchase, This is an exciting time for you, family and crew. Your world has changed dramatically to the Fun Side!
We are in the 8th year of ownership and we still learn and have fun when we go out, We sail on the Great Lakes-Salt Free, Shallow water-65' average for Lake Erie- with short steep waves.
Have fun everytime you go out, but be safe, We ALWAYS wear our life jackets, to be able to sail another day.
Share your adventures!
Welcome!