What is this number?

Dec 1, 2020
Hunter 44 DS Deale, MD
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2007 sailboat. In the cockpit lazerette is what looks like a coast guard documentation number... but isn't.

The boat was documented by its original owner. The correct official number starts with 119. Second owner had it removed from documentation. I just successfully re-activated the documentation status ( with the original official number). I have all of the paperwork showing this history. I bought is from the dealer that sold it to the original owner.

So, what could this other number be? It is not a legitimate official number according to searches of the coast guard database.

I'd like to put my correct official number in that spot, but don't want to make it look like I've tried to hide a previous number.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Order number or production number that Hunter used to determine build sequence?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It certainly looks like a USCG Documentation number.

If it can be removed easily, I'd pull it off and put the correct number there. Is the correct number anywhere on the boat?

Dec 1, 2020
Hunter 44 DS Deale, MD
It certainly looks like a USCG Documentation number.

If it can be removed easily, I'd pull it off and put the correct number there. Is the correct number anywhere on the boat?
No, I haven't found the correct number anywhere on the boat.

Very weird.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
The hull number starts with HUN, it is embossed on the hull, starboard aft quarter, 6-8 inches below the rubrail, if you can take a picture of that and email it to: help@sailboatowners.com, we can verify with the dealer the secret secondary spot, we can't publish the location for the protection of owners.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is not a legitimate official number according to searches of the coast guard database.
Please note that the CG has an active list (searchable on line) and an inactive list of Document numbers.

You may need to send the CG a letter or an email asking the question. This may take a bit of time.

If you have now a documented the number with the CG any previous number is inactive. If you are sure that the State recognizes you as the owner. Then you are within the law to alter the number, in fact you must place the documentation number on the hull to comply with the rules of the CG.

It sure looks like it could be a previous CG documentation number.

Not sure about others, but my Documentation number has 6 digits.

Dec 1, 2020
Hunter 44 DS Deale, MD
It is not a great
The hull number starts with HUN, it is embossed on the hull, starboard aft quarter, 6-8 inches below the rubrail, if you can take a picture of that and email it to: help@sailboatowners.com, we can verify with the dealer the secret secondary spot, we can't publish the location for the protection of owners.
Thanks! I just sent an email with the photo and a little more info.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not a Hunter, but this is in my port lazzarette...

noted on my survey as USCG registration number...

EF1696DB-9534-44A6-B671-35F31D14B3F0.png

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have a 7-digit USCG documentation. “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...” With what looks to be 3-in numbers, fixed to the hull, beginning with “NO”, it’s a duck. Question is, why is it not your duck? :doh: I think I’d remove it and put the numbers there that match your documentation certificate. Otherwise, who knows what might follow if you are boarded and the numbers do not agree.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Notable is what looks like UV faded Epoxy painted over the numbers. An attempt to make stick on numbers “permanently affixed to the hull”?