Now I know where all the wind went

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I got a new project in the SF Bay area and am spending a lot of time there. Two Sundays ago I had lunch in Sausalito and checked out the sailing from the shore. The wind was stiff, steady and appeared predictable. Boats were screaming along and it looked like everyone was having a blast. I will be spending some weekends in the North Bay area. If anyone needs crew please let me know. I will bring the beer.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Please feel to join me on my Hunter 46 out of Point Richmond. I am in Schoonmaker Point Marina this weekend in Sausalito.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
There's the old saying: 'The bay doesn't blow, the valley SUCKS'.
Good observation, when the California inland valley heats up it "suck" cold air from the Pacific and with it lots of wind. The following is a more detailed explanation:
  • Air always moves from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure.
  • Hot air rises and is less dense, and is typically low pressure, while cold air sinks and is dense, and is typically higher pressure.
  • Over the course of the day, the air inland temperature heats up in California. But air remains cool over the ocean — where the water stays about the same temperature all day.
  • The cold, high-pressure air from over the ocean rushes inland, toward the warm, lower pressure air.
  • It takes the path of least resistance, squeezing through sea-level gaps in the mountains and ridges — the biggest of which is at the Golden Gate.
  • This creates something known as the Bernoulli Effect. Think about a garden hose. You have the water cranked up all the way and you have the flow coming out of it. Well, you put your thumb over it, you restrict it down, and all of a sudden you shoot 20 yards across the driveway. The same thing happens if you compress air down to a smaller gap like through the Golden Gate.
1621099112771.png

Why San Francisco Gets So Windy and Foggy in the Summer | KQED

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Please feel to join me on my Hunter 46 out of Point Richmond. I am in Schoonmaker Point Marina this weekend in Sausalito.
Awesome! That is where I stopped and looked out onto othe bay. I did not know that until Google asked me how it was. I will send you a PM. Thanks very much!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There was a saying when I was learning to sail on the Bay, that if you could sail the Bay, you could sail anywhere on earth. In a single day you could go from extremely light air to a near gale. Add the fog and devilish currents (I was on a 65' schooner, under full sail, that was turned 180 degrees by an eddy under the Golden Gate).
I spent so much time out on the Bay, I knew her every mood and have even seen tidal bores in it, a very rare occurrence.
If (as always) had the area not increased it's population so much, I would have no problem moving back, just for the sailing.