Movie Chase scene using sailing catamarans

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
Having grown up with movies involving car chase scenes such as Bullet, The Seven Ups, and The French Connection, as well as the speedboat chase in the Louisiana Bayou in the James Bond thriller, Live and Let die, I remember how those scenes never failed to get my pulse racing. After seeing a few you tube videos of high performance catamarans, I though how nice it would be to make a chase scene in these vessels. 30 MPH may not sound like much until it is done under sail. Any opinions?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Maybe start off with the start of the America's Cup when the big cats get up on foils, and go from there.

Nov 24, 2014
Maybe start off with the start of the America's Cup when the big cats get up on foils, and go from there.
Personally, I would like to see the America's Cup races go back to the old 12 meter days. Not only were those vessels beautiful and graceful, but many of the design features that went into those boats, the wing keel being one of them showed up in production vessels that real world sailors buy. The over the top engineering in today's contestants results in boats that are too fragile, too complicated, and too dangerous to market to the public. I know that is wishful thinking, and is about as likely to happen as banning steroids in the Mr. Olympia bodybuilding contest.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
These things are like watching go carts race. Thank god when I paused one of the features that came up was the Wenesday Series from Annapolis.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Waterworld. Moana.
Loved Moana. Flying one hull was cool. The story is true to the history of the Pacific Islands. Maui's hook is a favorite piece in the shops here on Maui.

Nov 24, 2014
Having grown up with movies involving car chase scenes such as Bullet, The Seven Ups, and The French Connection, as well as the speedboat chase in the Louisiana Bayou in the James Bond thriller, Live and Let die, I remember how those scenes never failed to get my pulse racing. After seeing a few you tube videos of high performance catamarans, I though how nice it would be to make a chase scene in these vessels. 30 MPH may not sound like much until it is done under sail. Any opinions?
That thought first entered my mind years ago, after seeing the sailing scene in the movie Thomas
Crown Affair. In it you can see the Twin Towers off in the distance. Might have been the last major motion pictures showing the WTC before 911. Sends chills through my spine, every time I see that scene

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Personally, I would like to see the America's Cup races go back to the old 12 meter days. Not only were those vessels beautiful and graceful, but many of the design features that went into those boats, the wing keel being one of them showed up in production vessels that real world sailors buy. The over the top engineering in today's contestants results in boats that are too fragile, too complicated, and too dangerous to market to the public. I know that is wishful thinking, and is about as likely to happen as banning steroids in the Mr. Olympia bodybuilding contest.
There are a LOT of foiling boats available to the general public now, for as little as US$7,930 http://www.fulcrumspeedworks.com/UFO/buy-now/
It may be a while before foiling gets to mainstream cruisers but it's been tried in the G4 G4 Foiling Catamaran - Foiling Multihull | DNA Performance Sailing although "cruising" may be debatable but it has some creature comforts.
Foiling is here to stay, and there are a lot of options already on the market, much of this comes from America's Cup development.
As far as a foiling chase scene - sign me up! But make it over 60 knots!!! Make another SailRocket and have a couple of them racing

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Personally, I would like to see the America's Cup races go back to the old 12 meter days. Not only were those vessels beautiful and graceful....
:snooze:

More to the point, there are races for keel boats. The AC, on the other hand, was conceived as a financial arm race between rich guys. Let it be unique. In any case, the race belongs to the advertisers, so we have no say in it, which is fine.

Nov 24, 2014
:snooze:

More to the point, there are races for keel boats. The AC, on the other hand, was conceived as a financial arm race between rich guys. Let it be unique. In any case, the race belongs to the advertisers, so we have no say in it, which is fine.
Believe it or not, the twelve meter rule was enacted to lower the cost of entry. The J class boats of the early 20th century were over 100 feet long and cost a kings ransom

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Believe it or not, the twelve meter rule was enacted to lower the cost of entry. The J class boats of the early 20th century were over 100 feet long and cost a kings ransom
The foiling monohull AC75 class rule was also meant to reduce costs compared to the catamarans. It’s all relative.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm not with you on this one. Watching 12 meters sail was like watching paint dry.
The America's Cup is a spectacle, something the NASCAR bunch and others can enjoy, not just sailors. Of course, if you haven't got a team in the competition, it makes things less interesting, IMO.
I do believe that many of the innovations of foiling will/are trickling down to the pleasure boat market already. I certainly am never going to get to sail an AC 70 or even 45, but I may get an invite to sail one of the pleasure craft that foil before I pass. At least I hope so.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It might take guns, canons, swords or screeching eels, but you could make it interesting to watch.

-Will

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Foiling sail boats, doing double digit speeds, will really catch on when the sailing venues are robotically cleaned of all floating debris every single night.
Yeah. Right. :)

Kind of like the guys that sweep the track of parts and pieces after every car crash in racing. Otherwise the risk of blown tires and even worse crashes & fatalities increases...

Yeah, I used to be a "turn marshal" in Ye Olden Days of sports car racing. Loved those thundering 'A' class sports racers, but loved even more the sedan classes with vehicles we could all drive to the track on race day.
Anyone else here remember the almost-famous "510 Express" (a winning Datsun 510....) ??
:)
Ah ---the good old days.