Survey day

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
We took the next step in the process today and it all went well. Had a great surveyor and the broker set it all up and made it a fun day. All looked really good/perfect with just two small items. First, there's a leak in a hose that supplies the sea water to the toilet (directly in the back of the toilet seat). We played with it a bit, but reseating the hose and retightening the clamp didn't work. Second, the bilge pump was a bit wonky. It ran a couple of times, but not in manual, and then didn't in auto either consistently. The surveyor suspected an improper wiring job and I took some pics.

The seller agreed to fix both of these issues. I figured I'd get inputs from the group here if anyone has any suggestions what I should look for in the fixes. The surveyor mentioned some things to me to look for in the rewiring, but I'd love any inputs if anyone wants to chime in. We're hoping to close mid-May... it was a lot of fun to get her off the dock and get the sails up. She's just a bigger version of my 22', right?!

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Looks like a nice boat. Your surveyor picked up some good items and nice to hear the seller agreed to fix. Both are easy fixes. Enjoy the boat and get sailing on the bay!!

Oct 1, 2020
Is that last picture of the surveyor checking the rigging with binoculars?
Ha! It was her digital camera. I was very impressed with her inspection, and she let me look over her shoulder and ask a bunch of questions.

Oct 1, 2020
Looks like a nice boat. Your surveyor picked up some good items and nice to hear the seller agreed to fix. Both are easy fixes. Enjoy the boat and get sailing on the bay!!
See you out there soon!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
From the smile on your face you look like you are already at sea with your own boat.

Congrats. Hope the rest of the process goes as smoothly.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
A leaky hose can be a mighty serious thing, ya know o_O !

I'd be looking for at least a $5K reduction in price for the leaky hose and maybe the same for the bilge pump wiring. Mind you, you could offer to do the repairs yourself to show you're really not such a tough nut to deal with :biggrin::p:biggrin::p:biggrin::p !

But seriously folks, replace the leaking hose with a new piece and replace the taped wire connections with proper electrical connectors.

Great looking boat and if those are the only problems the surveyor found, you're sailing.

Also, something about the guy at the helm in the last pic ........ too happy, I say way too happy. Something else going on there :p ! ! ! !

Calm seas and fair winds forever.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Congrats! I can echo ToddL214 close to the wind, we push her very close a lot and watch and adjust for best speed.

Not to be a big jerk but that wiring in the bilge is a PO one that was not done very well. Duck tape and multiply splices with what looks like house hold connectors should all be cleaned up properly. The bilge is really shallow on the 310 so I get nervous if this is not working well as water damage to the wood could get expensive.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Not to be a big jerk but that wiring in the bilge is a PO one that was not done very well. Duck tape and multiply splices with what looks like house hold connectors should all be cleaned up properly. The bilge is really shallow on the 310 so I get nervous if this is not working well as water damage to the wood could get expensive.
:plus:The bilge pump problem is obvious, as JRT pointed out. You want water tight connections. Easy enough fix. Beautiful boat I'm sure you will love!
DSCN1261.jpg
DSCN1266.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@Tom J those pics made me take a double take, 2 switches and that second one in the aft bilge made me scratch my head. I can see the preventative value in it in case there is failure in the switch in the center bilge has always bothered me.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
@Tom J those pics made me take a double take, 2 switches and that second one in the aft bilge made me scratch my head. I can see the preventative value in it in case there is failure in the switch in the center bilge has always bothered me.
The second switch is a high water alarm I installed. It is connected to an audible alarm and an LED next to the original bilge pump LED. Early on, I had issues with the bilge pump coming on and running continuously, and not pumping, or not coming on at all. The main culprit was the check valve that would stick due to salt build up. Periodic flushing with fresh water has cured this issue, but I feel better having the high water alarm, just in case.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks good feedback, I've heard the same about the check valve, but I suspect my 100% fresh water boat is why I never have any problems in this area. I bought a spare pump and switch but a cleaning of the old one has made it fine since we bought the boat.

@Flying Jay look at this link for proper connectors in the repair.

Electrical Terminals | West Marine

My water supply had a similar leak, I removed the hose and found a split on the bottom, cut it off and reinstalled no issues since then.

Oct 1, 2020
Congrats! I can echo ToddL214 close to the wind, we push her very close a lot and watch and adjust for best speed.

Thanks good feedback, I've heard the same about the check valve, but I suspect my 100% fresh water boat is why I never have any problems in this area. I bought a spare pump and switch but a cleaning of the old one has made it fine since we bought the boat.

@Flying Jay look at this link for proper connectors in the repair.

Electrical Terminals | West Marine

My water supply had a similar leak, I removed the hose and found a split on the bottom, cut it off and reinstalled no issues since then.
Awesome. Thank you. Between your link and Tom J’s pics I’ll know what to look for. The surveyor said almost exactly what you aid about the less than great wiring job, and the seller is getting these small minor issues professionally sorted out.

I’m looking forward to diving into all these projects on my own soon enough, but I figure I might as well take delivery in as good a condition as possible.

As for windward, I can’t wait! My wing keeled 22 doesn’t take a very big bite of the upwind apple... but I suspect the 310 will get a bit closer. In light winds and the dozen or so tacks we played with on the sea trial she felt like a dream. :)

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Congratulations on finding a nice boat in good condition. It's not often that a survey only shows a couple of minor faults. You'll have peace of mind with this purchase.