Refrigeration help

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Catalina 31 38 GIG HARBOR
My 20-year-old Adler Barbour refrigeration unit is either dead or dying. Still investigating... no cooling but everything else seems to run. Will try to recharge the system too.
My question to this group is what are your experiences in replacing refrigeration? My compressor etc. are in the aft Starboard locker outboard. The run to the galley is pretty straightforward from there. Just wondering about wiring/tubing install etc. I appreciate everybody’s thoughts.

John

PEARL
Hull 38

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hey John.
Sure you can do it. There are a number of "Refrigeration" threads here on the forum. Just do a search.
You can get the materials here in the SBO Shop, at Fisheries in Seattle, or at Sure Marine in Ballard.

You need to do a little discovery unless you just want to replace everything.

One option is NovoKool.
They are out of Canada. I found they make pretty good systems to fit your size of boat. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Hey John.
Sure you can do it. There are a number of "Refrigeration" threads here on the forum. Just do a search.
You can get the materials here in the SBO Shop, at Fisheries in Seattle, or at Sure Marine in Ballard.

One option is NovoKool.
They are out of Canada. I found they make pretty good systems to fit your size of boat. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.
Hey John.

One option is NovoKool.
thanks for the quick reply! It appears they’re all kind of in the same ballpark price wise. I like the nova cool idea seems like a well-built product. And it would save me a bit of money.

Oct 22, 2014
I installed one of their Nova Kool F3800 3.5 CU FT AC/DC Single Door FreezeNova Kool F3800 3.5 CU FT AC/DC Single Door Freeze. Cost was about $1200. It was a oneway install for 2 people.
Here is the install.

1619561210660.jpeg

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Nice work! The inside of the boats is all finished out and trimmed...I would just have to put the conversion unit in the lazarette

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Try recharging first. Mine stopped cooling last year. I investigated replacements. I bought a recharging kit and slowly added gas to the low pressure side. Just a little at a time. It took two hours (gas, wait five minutes, gas, repeat). After a year it works just fine. I still have coolant left (about half) in the bottle I used.
It is far easier than replacement.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Try recharging first. Mine stopped cooling last year. I investigated replacements. I bought a recharging kit and slowly added gas to the low pressure side. Just a little at a time. It took two hours (gas, wait five minutes, gas, repeat). After a year it works just fine. I still have coolant left (about half) in the bottle I used.
It is far easier than replacement.
Yep. Same here. Local HVAC co came out, resoldered the leaking line, then evacuated and refilled the compressor to the correct amount of freon. Been working great.

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
My 20-year-old Adler Barbour refrigeration unit is either dead or dying. Still investigating... no cooling but everything else seems to run. Will try to recharge the system too.
My question to this group is what are your experiences in replacing refrigeration? My compressor etc. are in the aft Starboard locker outboard. The run to the galley is pretty straightforward from there. Just wondering about wiring/tubing install etc. I appreciate everybody’s thoughts.

John

PEARL
Hull 38
My fridge stopped working recently and is a 2001 20 years old hull 57. There was a leak issue and a circuit board issue. Since we spend 2 to 3 months in the Bahamas I opted to install a new system. You can buy from Catalina Direct a new Adler Barbour system to replace your existing. I chose a system from Frigoboat. In all systems you have an evaporator a thermostat and a compressor. You can also purchase a speed control which gives you flexibility in regulating the compressor. I am still in the process of installing the system. Taking the old unit out was not much of an issue. I will be running the new tubing from the evaporator to the compressor tomorrow. Most of the tubing from the evaporator goes through conduit then it hits dead space where you cannot see it. It is definitely a 15' run for the tubing. I had to buy 6' extensions since the evaporator only came with 9'. Catalina direct sells the adler barbour with 15' of tubing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
I replaced the compressor and evaporator last year. Bought open box unit from Defender. Here is the post.

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
So I discovered a couple of things causing the problem.
1) The main black wire was loose causing intermittent shutdown
2) The 5amp fuse was faulty (fan now comes on!)
3)re filled 134a as suggested.

Last night it all started working again after solving these issues. Checking this am to see if it’s still operating. Thanks for all the advice!

Oct 22, 2014
Now that is Great News JAE.

Does this mean cold beers are possible, again in Gig Harbor...
Cheers.:beer:

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Sure highlights one of the most important tools to have on a boat: a good 12V DC multimeter. I have the Blueseas one - indispensable!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Good on you for digging in there and checking it out yourself!
If you are anal like me, there's a "sniffer" you can get that will detect leaks. Or just see if it keeps everything cold. You can also put a thermometer inside and track the temp.

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Good on you for digging in there and checking it out yourself!
If you are anal like me, there's a "sniffer" you can get that will detect leaks. Or just see if it keeps everything cold. You can also put a thermometer inside and track the temp.
Thanks! I’m going to wait and see to see if it continues to cool...it’s been 24+ hours so far. I do have a thermometer in to see how cold it will get if I turn it halfway down

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks! I’m going to wait and see to see if it continues to cool...it’s been 24+ hours so far. I do have a thermometer in to see how cold it will get if I turn it halfway down
I had to play with the settings at first. Early on it was set too low and froze everything! On a t-stat range from 1 to 10 (coldest) we don't go past 3.

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Well two weeks in (or so) and 20 year old fridge continues to impress...today air temp 78* and bottom of fridge right at at 32*!!! So yes I turned it back a bit so the beer can be consumed by me