Catalina 22 to a Catalina 310 - the right move for us?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Well, today went well!

Bottom line up front: We had our offer accepted on the 2003 310 we've had our eye on. We should have the survey in the next couple of weeks, and all looks good! We felt really comfortable with this decision, based largely in part on all the great inputs we got from you all over the last few days. Thank you!

Back story: We started the day looking at a few others on the list... Older Catalinas, a 36' and a 32'. They were nice, but not really speaking to either of us. Then, after a quick lunch, we went over to see the 310 I've been drooling over for a couple of weeks. The boat looked to be in great shape - as seen in the listing, if not better. The single owner appears to have taken really great care of her, and she's been used lightly and well protected. The standing rigging was all professionally replaced this year, and she had new bottom paint and annual service to the 350 hr engine recently. The sails are fairly new, as is most of the running rigging. She seemed to check all the boxes we were looking for going in, and the broker and seller were very easy to deal with. We really appreciate all the advice we've received - and imagine our need for further guidance is just getting started. Stu, I've got Sailing the Bay on order already, and the 85% jib on the shortlist for upgrades... in front of dingy davits, dingy, bimini, gps, radar, etc... Cathy loves the margarita seats and is sizing pads and cushions for her admiral perch right now:)

We're off to celebrate... and start brainstorming names. Cheers!

View attachment 193111
:plus:My Admiral and our former first mate loved the stern perch! Good luck on the purchase of your dream boat.
DSCN9488.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I've been drooling over for a couple of weeks.
That is the way it starts...
Take care of your mistress and your wife... They will be separate entities now if "drooling" means what I think it means.

You both look good in the stern seats. They are the best seats in the house while auto pilot carries you to your anchorage.

Congrats.

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
I grew up on the South Shore, and still sail to Cape Cod every season (except for Covid season). I moved up from an O'Day 23 to our C310. My girlfriend at the time, (my partner now) and I spent a lot of time at boat shows looking for a bigger sailboat. We always came back to the C310 as the boat we wanted to buy. The open layout was appealing to us, as was the large bed in the forward cabin. You'll notice it is not a v-berth, so we can sleep with our heads to the bulkhead and read, which is important to us. The open layout allows excellent ventilation. We don't have A/C, but when at anchor or on a mooring, the boat stays comfortable with the hatches open.
There are too many plusses about the C310 to list here. One I will mention is the great engine access that you can see in the picture you showed from the listing.
I think you will find the C310 will provide everything you are looking for in a bigger sailboat, and will fulfill your needs for a cruising boat later. Welcome to the forum, and let us know how you decide.
Nice to meet you Tom. I'm envious of your South Shore cruising! I fly into Logan frequently, and on a good day I can see from P-town, along the whole curve of the Cape. I did my first sailing at a YMCA camp in Sandwich MA. We're excited to get a hold of our 310 soon, after an uneventful survey next week... knock on wood. I do indeed love the engine access - I think it's the best I've seen on a sailboat diesel. I've assigned my wife Cathy as our crew's designated mechanic - I'll report back how that goes.

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
Congrations on your new 310!!

I also purchased my Hunter 46 from Cruising Yachts.
Through the months' long process of looking for the right boat we came across quite a few brokers, and many had a *unique* style; however, I couldn't be more impressed with Dinah G. at Cruising Yachts at Alameda. She's made the entire experience an absolute joy so far.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We started out exactly like you, We wish you well, Please Remember to join the 310 association!
BTW we also sleep with our heads to the stern.
The easy engine access, that our friends are always amazed by and salon layout!
Please keep us updated and CONGRATS!

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Last summer when social distancing was in full swing, we decided to move up from a Capri 22 to a Catalina 310. It was a more "modern" design and better suited for cruising. Several years ago, my wife broke her ankle. After that she had lots of difficulty especially with the mid-cockpit traveler – she is 5' and has short legs. And we are pushing 70.

After purchasing the 310, she said, "I really like this boat". She wanted more of the creature comforts that were not possible in the Capri.

But I still have the Capri. Sometimes a smaller boat has its own charms – camping in a tent vs. traveling in an RV. Both are good. Both are enjoyable. But I am also looking forward to cruising the New England coastline.