Leaving motor on dinghy while sailing

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I have recently purchased a 1994 H33.5 and have not yet had the opportunity to sail her. The boat comes with davits and a dinghy but not a motor so I purchased a 9.9 HP outboard. Is it realistic to expect to leave the motor on the dinghy while sailing or will I have to transfer the motor to a rail mount? The davits look very well constructed, installed and robust.

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I always left my outboard attached and ready for use. Struggling with an outboard in choppy water would not be fun. I have a 27# 3.5hp outboard, but yours is much heavier and I think well within the davits capability.

But why did you buy such a large outboard?

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
We have already done a fair amount of cruising in the North Channel of the Georgian Bay and intend to do even more. One of the attractions is exploring in the dinghy. Our previous dinghy was quite small and was limited to a 3.5hp. I mounted the 3.5 on the rail and struggled somewhat (with fear for my back) transferring it to the dinghy. Davits or a hoist was a requirement for our new boat. A 9.9 on this larger dinghy will allow it to plane easily and gives us the range that we want.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Those look like Kato Island davits, which have a safe working static load of 300 lbs (total). The 9.9 outboard weighs close to 100 lbs, and your dinghy almost certainly under 50, so you should be good. And with an outboard of that weight, I would leave it attached to the dinghy. Just be aware that in big seas the dynamic load can go way up if the boat bangs around.

Kato Marine

I'm wondering why the 9.9 on the dinghy just like Rich. People use that motor to drive 27' sailboats (I did on my previous Catalina 27) and RIBs. I'm sure other folks have other thoughts there, but in my (admittedly narrow) use case of Chesapeake Bay sailing we use 2-6hp motors in our dinghies for the most part, for short trips to shore. I suppose if you were in the Caribbean and making longer trips in bigger water you might want a honker of an outboard to plane with. YMMV.

EDIT: Our posts crossed in the ether - I see why you want the larger outboard.

Edit 2: In looking again at the Island Davits page on Kato Marine I notice it says: "
  • Safe load 300lbs. (136kg) each davit arm.
That would seem to indicate a total weight of 600 lbs is safe, though the line is oddly punctuated. I own those davits, and I have had big friends use them as swing bars to enter the water off the stern (until I gently advised that isn't the purpose of the davits, thank you). While 250lb guys swung just fine off of them, they did give a little, so while I would buy 300lbs as "safe", with a margin for dynamic loads, I'd never put 600 lbs on them. I can't imagine the mounts not giving way or at least severely flexing. I think for your purposes you're well within the design limits.

Last edited:

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
I certainly will find a way to tie the dinghy off securely when raised on the davits. I was even considering some type of a rgid strut that would clamp on to the motor or dinghy transom to prevent bouncing if that is necessary.

Last edited:

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
I also noted that the PO installed (safety?) cables from the top of the davits to the back stay. Seems like overkill and I certainly hope that they never go taut. Is this typical?

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
It is not reasonable. That’s a heavy motor, and a smallish sailboat. We have an H36, and had a 4hp outboard that we mounted on the stern pulpit. The davits are for your unpowered tender.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I also noted that the PO installed (safety?) cables from the top of the davits to the back stay. Seems like overkill and I certainly hope that they never go taut. Is this typical?
Atypical in my experience, and sounds like overkill with those Kato Island davits unless the PO was hanging something off them that was near the design limit - I'd hope not. Those davits are designed to be removable from the boat very easily (I think just one bolt for each), and they can also swing horizontally without the stabilizing bar so you can swing them in to keep them from jutting onto the dock if you back into your slip without your dinghy.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
But why did you buy such a large outboard?
I'm in Georgian Bay as well in an area called the 30,000 Islands. We tow an 11ft. RIB with 15hp outboard. Typically spend more on gas for the dinghy than deisel for the big boat. We can be anchored out fro 6-7 nights and the dinghy is great for ice, beer, fresh food, restaurant close by that does fantastic pan-seared pickeral take-out, runs out to watch the sun hit the water or just explore the many islands etc.etc.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I leave my outboard on the tender transom all the time. I would suggest that you use an outboard motor lock to keep the dawgs from loosening.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
fred, you are in the heart of the best sailing on the globe. every couple of miles is something new and wonderful. of course you'll need your scout vessel on the ready.
i do so love the sailing up your way!

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
"okeechobee lodge, 40 years ago"

Jon...
That's one nice boat! Yes, the North Channel is a sailing paradise, a true Canadian treasure. After several years of trailer sailing up there, this year we purchased a keel boat on Georgian Bay and expect to spend a good part of the summer on the water there. Really looking forward to it! I expect that it will be another quiet season as I don't expect that we will be meeting any of our American neighbours. We've been by that lodge several times on our way into Baie Fine or up into MacGregor Bay (a favourite).

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i love macgregor bay. was up there before they had charts, snooping around. went as for north and east as i could with a six foot draft. under sail. anchored. continued on in the dingy till i ran out of water. then walked some more.
back then the locals tried to fight the gov for issuing charts. they had local knowledge. it sure is pristine. i had kids for a lookout. they'll point out all the rocks ;)

Feb 8, 2017
Hunter 40.5 Browns Point
We have Kato Davits on our 40.5. I have a Walker Bay 10.2 dingy with a older 15 hp, two stroke motor. Davit capability is 350 lbs. Motor and dingy come in around 200 pounds. You are not limited so much by the davits as you are by what they are attached to. If your railing will support the load your good. We to enjoy a larger dingy as we can have guest along for a trip to shore. Have room for our crab pots ext. We almost always leave our motor on the dingy under sail and never had a problem. We do keep a line available if needed to go from the davits to a cleat for additional strength, but have not had to use it yet. Enjoy your dingy.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I’d at least check out the attachment points and verify there is backing plates

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
When I decided to “slightly” overbuild my davits, people thought I was a little crazy.

To date, they’ve been rock solid, and if I wish to upsize my engine, no worries. It’s just one thing that isn’t on my “re-visit list”
So, I’m a proponent of getting the strongest Davits you can put in the space available, and don’t cut corners
Nice photos, btw

Attachments