C&C 29 Mark II pedestal brakes

Apr 20, 2021
C&C 29 Mark II CVL
Hi, I need to replace the brake pads for my steering column. I contacted Edson, they have let me know that my pedestal is not a Edson but maybe a "Yacht Specialties", company that closed in 1989. I thought of buying a part from Edson and modify it (Brake Maintenance Kit) but their technician, at Edson, says that the part cannot be modified. His suggestion is that I buy a new pedestal from them at 2500$.
Did you have a similar problem and/or do you have suggestions? I think I might just use a ratchet strap to lock my wheel when I have too ;o(

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If you take the pads out, you may be able to clean them and rough them up a little or replace the pads with new material from a brake or clutch shop. Acetone on a pad can soak out any surface oil if that is what the trouble is or you can replace the friction material or glue some shims between the holder and the pads if they are just worn thin.
There is a parts breakdown and drawings for your pedestal in the "Owner Resources" and "General Downloads" section of this forum..

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Keep in mind that the "brake pads" are meant to provide friction to the wheel turning, not meant to lock it in place (which they do a poor job of). If you don't need to add friction, a ratchet strap or something else to lock the wheel in place will do fine.

Apr 20, 2021
C&C 29 Mark II CVL
If you take the pads out, you may be able to clean them and rough them up a little or replace the pads with new material from a brake or clutch shop. Acetone on a pad can soak out any surface oil if that is what the trouble is or you can replace the friction material or glue some shims between the holder and the pads if they are just worn thin.
There is a parts breakdown and drawings for your pedestal in the "Owner Resources" and "General Downloads" section of this forum..
Thank you. my pads are completely worn out. I have ordered a set from Edson. I'm hoping I can a find a way to fit them. If it works, i will post a comment here for other viewers

Apr 20, 2021
C&C 29 Mark II CVL
Keep in mind that the "brake pads" are meant to provide friction to the wheel turning, not meant to lock it in place (which they do a poor job of). If you don't need to add friction, a ratchet strap or something else to lock the wheel in place will do fine.
Thank you, I have ordered a brake pad set from Edson, hoping I can fit them. if it does not work, I will most probably use ratchet straps.