Any plans for cruising this year?

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Already started. There is a bit to be said for being able to cruise at 70mph before you launch. Lake Powell in March. Just a bit early for stripers.

Ah...

1618953799813.png

Blah....

1618953850970.png

Hope to be in Desolation Sound this summer if our Canadian friend allow their COVID infested neighbors in. Gulf Islands, BC.

1618954046320.png

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Already started. There is a bit to be said for being able to cruise at 70mph before you launch. Lake Powell in March. Just a bit early for stripers.

Ah...

View attachment 192962

Blah....

View attachment 192963

Hope to be in Desolation Sound this summer if our Canadian friend allow their COVID infested neighbors in. Gulf Islands, BC.

View attachment 192964
We’re ready too. Road trip to Ohio. There is always an adventure waiting. Then a side trip to Shanksville Pa. to the flight 93 memorial. Moving.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I’ve been hoping for the past few years to get the boat up to Bellingham for a couple of summers to cruise more of the PNW, including John’s trip around Vancouver Island. But alas! We all know the tale! No real hard-laid plans just yet, but “making the rounds” in Southern California always adds up to a worthy summer cruise. We’re blessed. From Long Beach; up the coast to Ventura, Goleta Beach, the north and south coasts of Santa Cruz Island; then downhill to Santa Barbara Island (Landing Cove) and Santa Catalina Island’s Cat Harbor, maybe include an overnight run to Ensenada, then back up to San Diego, Dana Pt, Newport Beach, home! A mere 450 n.mi. RT, if even. But could easily blow off a month with it, probably two. With right weather of course, might extend the northwest bound leg to include from Goleta Beach—Coho, Port San Luis, and Morro Bay, then down to Santa Cruz Island, etc. Many possible combinations. :biggrin: I’m cogitating:doh:.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I am envious of those who have access to extended cruising grounds. Lake Ontario and the Upper St Lawrence have great places to visit, however after 35 years, they do become a little stale and the wanderlust begins to kick in.

We could head for the upper Great Lakes, however, even getting to Lake Erie requires several days and a passage through the Welland Canal. Doable, but time consuming. Heading down stream on the St Lawrence to Montreal or Quebec City is also possible, but that means bucking the river current for a long time.

Thus we are looking forward to our trip this summer to saltwater. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just conjecture at this point.
Explore the Central and South areas of the Puget Sound. Then a Juan D’Fuca adventure making a run out to Neah Bay and the Open Ocean. And lastly, while skirting the southern edge of the border follow Boundary Passage up to Bellingham. These should occupy my summer sailing/cruising activities.

Maybe even explore the routes of the rum runners from the 1920’s as they dodged the Revenuers to bring joy to the Seattle public.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I am envious of those who have access to extended cruising grounds. Lake Ontario and the Upper St Lawrence have great places to visit, however after 35 years, they do become a little stale and the wanderlust begins to kick in.

We could head for the upper Great Lakes, however, even getting to Lake Erie requires several days and a passage through the Welland Canal. Doable, but time consuming. Heading down stream on the St Lawrence to Montreal or Quebec City is also possible, but that means bucking the river current for a long time.

Thus we are looking forward to our trip this summer to saltwater. :)
That's exactly why we decided to keep our boat in Erie, Pa when we bought it. I like Lake Ontario better than Erie and it's closer to our cabin in NY, but it's a long way to anywhere with the boat. With it in Erie, we do summer trips each year up to Lake Huron and Michigan. I have never bonded with Lake Erie, though. I'd rather keep the boat up on Lake Huron, but that would require even longer car trips to get to it. If we ever decide to take it to salt water the extra distance in that direction wouldn't really matter as it's a long trip, as it is.

Concerning this year's cruising plans...already started. We got back recently from about a 3 week trip to the Charlotte harbor area of Fl with our other boat (trailerable). Now it's time to head back up north from our home here in SC, see another spring and get our other boat cleaned up and launched. Hoping for Canada to open so we can get up to the north channel, but that's not looking good. There's still much of Lake Michigan we haven't been to for plan b.

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 97 Passage 42 Newark NJ
Yes bringing my hunter Passage from Florida to the Chesapeake Bay next week. Anyone else making that trip? Spent the last two Winters sailing Florida it's time to get back to the Bay

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
The basic plan is to not hit rocks (I hear the rocks in Maine are just as hard as the ones in the Great Lakes) and to keep lobster pots from fouling the prop. After that, we are pretty flexible. :biggrin:

Roughly we plan to be reach Maine sometime in late July, be in Boston shortly after Labor Day, and Annapolis by the Boat Show. From there south it will depend on weather, the colder it gets the faster we'll head south since we don't have heat in our boat.

We tend to avoid the really touristy towns like Bar Harbor or Boothbay Harbor. Camden, SW Harbor, Belfast, Rockport are possibilities. Overall a mix of scenic anchorages and small towns, and fresh lobsters.
For those visiting Maine don't pass up Stonington, Searsport, North Haven, Isleboro, Vinalhaven, and WoodenBoats anchorage in Brooklyn on Eggamoggin Reach. I use to work in that area and can provide more recommendations if needed.