Hunter 19 or 19-2 Jib haylard wraps around CDI furler

Sep 10, 2012
ODay Javelin rangeley, ME
Thik my 1st post was too cryptic- Have had a Hunter 19-2 for 5 years. The jib haylard exits at the top of the mast and is used to raise the mast. The CDI furler attaches to the mast about 10 inches below the top of the mast.. After the mast is raised I've tried to make the haylard extremely tight along the mast, Nonetheless the furler when turning seems to always catch the haylard. Last year I removed the furler. It just seems like such a waste not to take advantage of this piece of equiptment. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Tom Flatley

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
On a CDI the line that hoists sail is internal and does not have an upper swivel like shown above and your halyard has no purpose other than raising the mast (and a spinnaker if you have one) so you need separation from the turning bits. You could try either of the following.
Try clipping the halyard to the pulpit in front of the forestay. That would give good separation.
Try flipping the halyard over the uppers and down the back side of them to the base of the mast. I do this with my spinnaker halyard for the same reason to keep it away from the upper swivel on my Harken furler

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Doug J has an excellent suggestion in the first picture; however, this is a CDI system with it’s own internal jib halyard which I need to know more. Can you take a photo with the jib out all the way with two pictures with emphasis on top and the bottom of the furler and post please. Also let me know when you do this. I wonder if the former is too long

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Where and how do you secure your halyard to the mast? When not used for stepping the mast we’ve always secured the shackle on the aft port side of the mast tabernacle then pulled tight and held with the clutch. Never had a problem with it catching on the furler.
what part of the furler is catching on the halyard?

Sep 10, 2012
On a CDI the line that hoists sail is internal and does not have an upper swivel like shown above and your halyard has no purpose other than raising the mast (and a spinnaker if you have one) so you need separation from the turning bits. You could try either of the following.
Try clipping the halyard to the pulpit in front of the forestay. That would give good separation.
Try flipping the halyard over the uppers and down the back side of them to the base of the mast. I do this with my spinnaker halyard for the same reason to keep it away from the upper swivel on my Harken furler
Thank you for the prompt. But what is the "uppers"?

Sep 10, 2012
@Doug J has an excellent suggestion in the first picture; however, this is a CDI system with it’s own internal jib halyard which I need to know more. Can you take a photo with the jib out all the way with two pictures with emphasis on top and the bottom of the furler and post please. Also let me know when you do this. I wonder if the former is too long
Thank you for the prompt reply but I will not be able to post a reply until the latter part of June. When I do I will let you know

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Thank you for the prompt. But what is the "uppers"?
The upper shroud or cap shroud are the rigging wires that go up to the spreaders and then anchor to the mast near the top. If you flip the top of the halyard around that so it comes down behind the spreaders, it will keep the top clear of the furler.