rudder rigging question

Mar 15, 2021
Macgregor Venture 22 Brooklyn
So I mounted Bottoms Up's rudder the other day. Discovered I needed a 3/16 clevis pin and retainer, which I ran out and bought.

It seems the upper portion of the rudder has 2 holes in a vertical line and the tiller has 2 holes near the rudder end in line fore and aft.

I see the holes on the rudder for the downhaul and uphaul lines, and it is obvious the uphaul runs to the tiller and the downhaul to the upper rudder section, but does the line just pass through the holes or do I need to find cleats to mount there?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mine had a cleat. Here are some images I had stored in a folder on my computer.

Rudder Drawing.JPG
Rudder Drawing-png.png

Mar 15, 2021
That is great! Just what I was looking for. Not sure what the holes in the tiller were for, but this confirms I only need one cleat and it tells me how to rig it!

Thanks so much!

Mar 15, 2021
do you have a pic of the hole in your tiller?
Sadly I did not take a photo of the holes in the tiller. There are two of them fore and aft just forward of the rudder end of the tiller.

If the weather is good this weekend I will be moving her to her haul out location and I will try and get a photo them. The home owner wants her gone, so I may have to move her without benefit of running rigging and therefore no sails. I hate that, but the move is only a couple of miles. I guess if the ancient engine dies I will call for a tow.

Mar 15, 2021
If you encounter the bottom as much as I do, you can make the downhaul of bungee cord.
Chip V.
Where she is now it is pretty shallow all over, even the channel is mostly no deeper than 6 feet, but where I am moving her to there is no worry about shallow water. I think for the move to haul out I will just put the rudder down and not tie it. If I hit a sand bar it should come up, and I will pull it back down after the water gets deep again.

Jan 19, 2010
Sadly I did not take a photo of the holes in the tiller. There are two of them fore and aft just forward of the rudder end of the tiller.
Probably a tiller tamer... does the spacing on this look about right?

1618591575845.png

Jan 19, 2010
If you need a new tiller, they are not hard to make. I've made a tiller for this boat before and I added a little curve to get some more leg room (knee room) in the cockpit. Go to the furniture wood isle in Lowes and get some oak and pine strips.

tiller3.jpg

Make a jig on the floor of your shed... or just a scrap piece of plywood. Glue and clamp the strips together in the jig... make sure to put some plastic down so you don't glue your tiller to the floor...

tiller2.jpg
tiller4.jpg

Then shape it with a sander, hang it and put about seven coats of varnish on it.
tiller5.jpg
Tiller1.jpg

.... and you now have a new $200 tiller for only $30 worth of materials (and you still have left over varnish for other projects).

BTW, I also made that rudder.

Rudder_Repair5.jpg
Rudder_Repair7.jpg

Mar 15, 2021
Great looking tiller! Yes the spacing looks right for a tiller tamer. Never had one on my Ericson.

Tiller is good on the Venture, so no tiller making in the immediate future.

I made the last tiller for my Ericson out of an Oak 2x4 cut to shape. It has held up well for 30 years!

Aug 29, 2020
MacGregor 26S Mobile
If you need a new tiller, they are not hard to make. I've made a tiller for this boat before and I added a little curve to get some more leg room (knee room) in the cockpit. Go to the furniture wood isle in Lowes and get some oak and pine strips.

View attachment 192787

Make a jig on the floor of your shed... or just a scrap piece of plywood. Glue and clamp the strips together in the jig... make sure to put some plastic down so you don't glue your tiller to the floor...

View attachment 192786View attachment 192788

Then shape it with a sander, hang it and put about seven coats of varnish on it.
View attachment 192789View attachment 192785

.... and you now have a new $200 tiller for only $30 worth of materials (and you still have left over varnish for other projects).

BTW, I also made that rudder.

View attachment 192790View attachment 192791
Nice handi work on the tiller.
Just seeing your demo takes the mystery out of the project. Thanks.