Looking for dinghy suggestions.

Jul 13, 2009
Parker Skipjack 37 Clearwater
I have a 1990 B41S5. I also have a Zodiac Wave 10'2" dinghy. (from a prior boat) Its too big for the stern and deck. I dont want davits and looking for a smaller dinghy that can be on deck or tied to stern pulpit . SUggestions please. Thanks.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Same situation for me so I purchased a low cost ($650 on sale), light weight (53 lb), compact (8'4"), high carrying capcity (992 lbs), small stowage size (3’3” x 1’11” x 11”) West Marine PVC PRU-3 Performance Roll-Up Inflatable Boat that I cover and strap to the fore deck fully inflated.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Same situation for me so I purchased a low cost ($650 on sale), light weight (53 lb), compact (8'4") West Marine PVC PRU-3 Performance Roll-Up Inflatable Boat that I cover and strap to the fore deck fully inflated.
Good solution, but it also kind of depends on how you want to use the dinghy as to model and size. A 9.5-ft Inflatable RIB, which is what I have now, is my 5th attempt at a solution to the “dinghy problem.” Rides well on deck. Can carry there with the chambers deflated for more compactness if wished. Deploy and recover using a 6x block-and-fall suspended from the spin halyard so I can lift and manipulate at the foredeck without assist from the cockpit winches. Fitted with a 9.9 hp Evinrude two-stroke that will plane it with two adults aboard. Engine is hoisted/lowered separately from the stern rail with a crane. Best all round solution so far. Every option has negatives & positives. The biggest one here is that it’s a bit dicey deploying or recovering if the boat is moving much, especially rocking.

My lift is with the dink horizontal so it does not have to go high making a 10+ ft vertical pendulum to control. Just high enough to clear the lifelines puts the center of mass at about chest level, or a bit lower. One hand to hold the lifting fall, the other to push the dink outboard. It would actually work better to take the life lines down, but then you have to put them up again:what:. Center of gravity is mid-boat so also need a tag line at the dink’s bow to hold it fwd of the mast and shrouds, etc., while swinging it over. :) Once past the life lines ease the lift so the dink then rests stably against the gunwale. Once hooked up, this takes hardly more than a minute.

Last edited:
May 11, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sakonnet, RI
I have a 1990 B41S5. I also have a Zodiac Wave 10'2" dinghy. (from a prior boat) Its too big for the stern and deck. I dont want davits and looking for a smaller dinghy that can be on deck or tied to stern pulpit . SUggestions please. Thanks.
Highfield Highfield Highfield
Light, large pontoons for stability , and aluminum bottom
I got a Torqeedo to go with my 8’6” Highfield
Styling