What is this thing on my Beneteau 361 boom?

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
Fellow sailors - calling on your expertise again : )
Pls see the attached pic.

What is that thing, is it necessary? I realize what it does . . . but why would it have been installed? My first impulse is to simply remove it so that the boom outhaul car can travel freely. But is there a downside to this?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Looks like a mechanical stop to prevent the outhaul car from being tensioned beyond a set point. That being the case, the stop should be positioned aft of the outhaul car. Looking closely, at the leading edge of the outhaul car, one can see tape residue on the side of the boom.
When the tape was present, it provided for a visual indicator as to not tension the outhaul car beyond the taped line.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
It should most certainly NOT be positioned aft of the outhaul car. It is intended to keep the car from moving too far forward when the sail is being furled into the mast. On my old 361 it was located just forward of the point where the vang connects to the boom (see below). Check out photos of other 361's on the internet (for example on Yachtworld) and you will see other examples. Location will affect the fairlead angle and ease of furling or unfurling the sail.
FBYC Late Fall 2014.jpg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
It is intended to keep the car from moving too far forward when the sail is being furled into the mast. On my old 361 it was located just forward of the point where the vang connects to the boom (see below).
What is the part identification/name? Who manufactures & sells it?
Is it effective in improving the ease of furling / unfurling. Have never seen it on the Beneteau’s that I chartered nor any of the Beneteau’s that I considered purchasing. I wouldn’t imagine that it is specific to the 361 as US Spars supplied all the rigs for that vintage of Beneteau’s.