Cargo ship in the North Sea

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've been watching this for a few days now. I figured someone would post about it here but I haven't seen anything so figured I'd post. There was a better video of the Norwegian Coast Guard rescuing the crew but I can't find it now, here's the best one I can find now.

They have been able to get the ship secured at this point so looks like a disaster has been averted. Its pretty incredible really. Man those coasties are just amazing!

Here's the most recent news feed I was reading. Wish this one had better images. I'd love to see how the heck they did this!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow. A relatively new vessel. The ship gets into high seas. Gear securing the cargo fails. Ship appears to be under power. Crew abandon ship jumping into the sea. Choose not to get in lifeboat.

Something feels strange about this event.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
At first I was a bit skeptical of their idea to abandon it, but then I realized that they were in stormy and 'open' waters.... not like the Couger Ace. :(
It was a shame that the decision was made to scrap all of the new vehicles aboard ....
at about 70% off, I might have bought one! :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It was a shame that the decision was made to scrap all of the new vehicles aboard ....
at about 70% off, I might have bought one!
Mostly Mazdas… :poop: Being someone who manages an auto repair shop I would say it was no real loss, even at 70% off. :biggrin:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Wow. A relatively new vessel. The ship gets into high seas. Gear securing the cargo fails. Ship appears to be under power. Crew abandon ship jumping into the sea. Choose not to get in lifeboat.

Something feels strange about this event.
I wonder if the Coast guard told them to go into the water making the recovery easier. Certainly wasn't clear as to why some came off the deck and a few were pulled from the water. The little video that was available, appeared that the crew taken from the sea was done after the evacuation on deck. Almost like the sea state worsened and it was too difficult to work on the deck and decided to have some crew jump into the sea. Or something along those lines. I think getting into a lifeboat would only happen if they had to survive while waiting for rescue.

dj

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Almost like the sea state worsened and it was too difficult to work on the deck and decided to have some crew jump into the sea. Or something along those lines.

dj
The second video had brief wording to that affect.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
The second video had brief wording to that affect.
did it? I must have missed that... It's what makes sense to me.

dj

p.s. Still amazing work to get those folks off the boat. Then later they put a technical crew back on the boat... In 50 foot seas... That's some kick-a$$ work!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
AIS now shows her now beside a dock, in Alesund, Norway with the big tugs nearby. (and a small tug on her starboard side, possibly to reduce list?)

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
did it? I must have missed that... It's what makes sense to me.

dj

p.s. Still amazing work to get those folks off the boat. Then later they put a technical crew back on the boat... In 50 foot seas... That's some kick-a$$ work!

Sorry, was first video link at 0:38

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
AIS now shows her now beside a dock, in Alesund, Norway with the big tugs nearby. (and a small tug on her starboard side, possibly to reduce list?)
Makes sense, they had her towed in and the timing is right. Freaking amazing rescue really. Entire crew off, special technical crew on board, had to get those hug tugs out there hooked up and then towed in. Dang, that's one phenomenal job! I'd sure hate to get the bill! But what fine work!!!!!

And, I'd agree, that small tug is probably for stability. That's a hell of a rescue/salvage!

dj