Secondary fuel filter removal

Aug 23, 2020
Catalina 310 323 Mamaroneck
Hi - I’m trying to change the secondary fuel filter, but having a very hard time taking the old one off. I’ve opened the bleed screw and, by using a strap wrench, I have been able to rotate old filter counterclockwise, when viewed from ABOVE (manual is not clear about CCW from above or below), and some diesel leaked out making the filter very slippery.

I’ve noticed there are no threads on the replacement filter. Any advice on how best to remove? Is it just brute force?

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Simply look at a new filter to confirm the direction of rotation and ‘have at it’ knowing you are turning in the proper direction. Someone tightened the current one too tightly.

Aug 23, 2020
Catalina 310 323 Mamaroneck
If that's the new filter in the picture, the threads are visible in the center. "righty tighty, lefty loosey" . Surely you've replaced the oil filter on your car before. Same principle :thumbup:.
Yup. Sometimes you need to ask an embarrassingly simple question to see that answer. New filter on snugly.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No need to loosen the bleed screw. The fuel system is self bleeding.
Tom, unless you've had personal experience, I have found on our M25 that the primary filter can be self-bleeding (opening the knurled knob on our engine, NOT yours) but that when the secondary filter is replaced its bleed screw needs to be removed until fuel exits. I think it's because of the lower position. Also could be that I just never had the patience to wait that long! And I only change that once a decade. I know, you guys have M25XPBs, different engine, same secondary location.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom, unless you've had personal experience, I have found on our M25 that the primary filter can be self-bleeding (opening the knurled knob on our engine, NOT yours) but that when the secondary filter is replaced its bleed screw needs to be removed until fuel exits. I think it's because of the lower position. Also could be that I just never had the patience to wait that long! And I only change that once a decade. I know, you guys have M25XPBs, different engine, same secondary location.
Yes, lots of experience, Stu.:) Even when changing the secondary filter, I have only had to hold the "ignition" key on for 30 seconds or so, and she fires right up. Maybe it is the M25XPB, I don't know for sure.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
If it is on that tight, I have seen guys drive a screwdriver through the filter to turn it off, as long as you are going the RIGHT WAY!
NOT recommended!