Dockside pressure water inlet is not working on my hunter 42 passage

UME

Mar 3, 2021
Hunter Passage 42 Green Cove Springs
1990 hunter 42 passage new to me boat...hooking up to the dockside pressure water inlet for the first time and no water is coming through the system. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome!
I don't think that a dockside water inlet was standard on that boat, so it is something that a previous owner or dealer installed.. Probably time to go hunting and chasing hoses ! Good Luck.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
As stated above, it’s not a factory standard installation so if there is a shut off valve, it could be anywhere the previous owner(s) put one. If done correctly, it should be at or close to the pressure reducer.
It’s also possible although unlikely the pressure reducer failed. Should be simple to remove and see if it works.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Dock supplied, pressurized water is never a good idea in a boat.

It’s also possible although unlikely the pressure reducer failed.

When a pressure reducing valve fails, it is very often the result of the diaphragm rupturing and the valve goes wide open.
1616813092242.png

Dock supply pressure is now inside the boat's water tubing and can cause problems if the tubing can't withstand the uncontrolled dock water pressure.

It doesn't even have to be that dramatic. Let any tube fitting separate inside your boat and you've got an endless supply of water flowing into the boat. Now that's far worse than your hull hitting a sharp rock when your under way. At least under way, you're on the boat to staunch the flow of water.

However, back at the dock when you're boats all alone and nobody's home ..................... :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: !

Attachments

Last edited:

UME

Mar 3, 2021
Thank you, everyone, for the information and ideas, we will go hunting... bahaha.... for the problem.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 boat came standard with a dockside city water connection beneath the cockpit step. Never had a need to use it. Might give it a try just to see what happens. Jus another system that needs to be inspected.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Dock supplied, pressurized water is never a good idea in a boat.
One of the reasons for this, in addition to Ralph's excellent fail open analysis is this:

dockside water pressure is often much higher than the boat's piping system is designed to handle. Most boat pumping systems are designed for 55 psi. Water street pressure is often 70 psi or higher.

UME

Mar 3, 2021
A salient point, Ralph. I would never leave it connected unattended. Just need to check it out, like everything else on the boat.
Let me know if you find anything Terry, we can't even find where it goes past the inlet...let alone a valve or regulator.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Let me know if you find anything Terry, we can't even find where it goes past the inlet...let alone a valve or regulator.
Will do. May take a week or so as I just returned from the boat.