Where to next?

Mar 20, 2021
Seafarer 23 Old Hickory
My Dad and I have been sailing just a few years. We are based in middle TN and have a 23' Seafarer that draws 4.5' Last July we cruised the ICW from Navarre FL to Fort Morgan on Mobile Bay. Yesterday we completed the trek from Charleston SC to Savannah via the ICW. Both trips have been a blast and we are looking for suggestions where to go next. Looking for 5 - 7 day trips with scenic views and lots of good spots. What do you recommend? Also if you have any questions or comments about our previous two trips fire way!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The Outer Banks in NC. You can put in at the Town of Washington NC and sail the Pamlico Sound To Bath, Belhaven, Ocracoke Island and down to New Bern and back. These are the old stomping grounds of Blackbeard. The waters are relatively shallow so do your homework tracing the routes. Entrance to some of the towns are a little tricky and you have to watch out for the Ferris.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The Outer Banks in NC. You can put in at the Town of Washington NC and sail the Pamlico Sound To Bath, Belhaven, Ocracoke Island and down to New Bern and back. These are the old stomping grounds of Blackbeard. The waters are relatively shallow so do your homework tracing the routes. Entrance to some of the towns are a little tricky and you have to watch out for the Ferris.
Plus one on OBX
You can start in Eddington then — Elizabeth city,— alligator creek, Columbia— manteo — nags head— then all the places @benny17442 suggested. Add oriental to his list.
Get a copy of Young’s Cruising guide for that area. Many of those towns have 48 hour tie up and a free bath house for a shower.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I always enjoyed visiting the Outer Banks too. Especially the North end and sailing into Norfolk is interesting if you are a Navy fan. If you were a horse nut as a kid, there's Chincoteague Island too.
The Corona Light is beautiful and there is a great nature boardwalk through the swamp that we had deer jumping over to run past us, we got the evil eye from more than one cotton mouth looking up from below the boardwalk. rgranger can attest to the great blue crab fishing.

Have you been South the the St. Johns in Florida?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 20, 2021
Seafarer 23 Old Hickory
I always enjoyed visiting the Outer Banks too. Especially the North end and sailing into Norfolk is interesting if you are a Navy fan. If you were a horse nut as a kid, there's Chincoteague Island too.
The Corona Light is beautiful and there is a great nature boardwalk through the swamp that we had deer jumping over to run past us, we got the evil eye from more than one cotton mouth looking up from below the boardwalk. rgranger can attest to the great blue crab fishing.

Have you been South the the St. Johns in Florida?

-Will (Dragonfly)
OBX is sounding like a jewel.

South of the St. John's as in the Space Coast? I've run up and down the Indian and Banana rivers, mosquito lagoon, in a fishing boat, but have never sailed it. I like that area.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Typo, I meant South TO the St. Johns.

Amelia Island is a nice little community to visit and the Manatee swim up and down the St. Johns.

However, the Indian River area is nice too and has some great natural areas to enjoy. My wife and I use to take regular trips to Merrit Island for the bird watching. We lived South of there in Boyton Beach and trailered our Hobie 18 down to the Keys a lot. I never really spent much time in the Atlantic with my Hobie. Too far on the ICW from the ramp without a motor.

I couldn't say enough about the great daysailing in the Keys. Same with going North to the coast of Maine. If you're working your way to some of the best Summertime sailing anywhere, Maine can't be beat.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
After you dilly dally with those excellent warm ups. Follow the guidance of one Horace Greeley
“Go west, young man" (usually credited to influential New York Tribune editor Horace Greeley.1865”​
As many have found it is not for the faint of heart.
Should you consider the adventure, there can be none more exciting that to explore the PacificNW waters. From the Puget Sound, along the BC Canadian coastline, to the waters of Southern Alaska you can discover yourself. Sail these waters and you will learn what you are made of, be it man or mouse.