new to sailing i seek experience

Jan 30, 2021
no boat does not apply norfolk
long time power boater seeks experience sailing before I buy a boat. I am a good handyman and improviser when needed I am willing to trade labor for experience on a sailboat. thank you in advance for your consideration and i hope someone out there needs my help as much as i need theirs. thanks again, Mike

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Suggestion...
Go to nearby marinas with maybe a business type card.

Will work for Sailboat experience!

____
Welcome the fun world of Sailboating.
Jim...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There may be more than one Norfolk.

Might help to tell folks where you are.

Many places have Beer Can races on Wednesday or Friday nights.

Might be harder with C-19, please, think this through, for YOUR safety and theirs.

Good luck, have fun.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Check out local sailing clubs. Many of them even offer adult courses that come with the option of joining The club.

Jun 17, 2012
Bristol 35.5 Escanaba
Get or rent, or borrow a very small sailboat, and sail as often as you can to learn how to balance the impact of locating your weight, fore and aft, and side to side, trimming the sail or sails, steering a course, how to tack and gibe. A small boat is less forgiving than a larger sailboat, and you will move up the learning curve much faster than crewing on a larger sailboat.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........I am a good handyman and improviser when needed I am willing to trade labor for experience on a sailboat...............
Always need a good, motivated boat handyman and improviser as I have a sailboat and powerboat to maintain. Happy to give you lessons on my Hunter 46 in the San Francisco Bay.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
when spring arrives go to local marina and talk to local sailors
Explain that you are new to sailing and looking for experience, I’ve always found that sailors are always friendly and looking for a excuse to get out on the water.

in the meantime look up USPS “ United States power squadron” they are an excellent non profit organization that has an excellent educational program for all boaters.
Classes that might interest you such as sail, weather, seamanship, piloting, advanced piloting and many more are available for a small membership fee and nominal fee to cover cost of materials. I’ve been a member and retired instructor for decades as was my father before me.
They also are very involved in safety and over vessels safety checks which I am involved with locally in my area. We preform approximately 75 in our marina which everyone that really appreciates as it is a free safety check.

hope this helps

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
Shoot!!!! where are you located???? Are you, can you travel???
Just had my 2nd hip replacement surgery and I have a 39' O'day that I have removed most of the teak from the topside B4 my surgery..... working refinishing it here at home during my recovery, but could use a hand at the boat on the hard in exchange for plenty of sail time this summer, provided you can find some place to stay up this way

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Looks like the OP isn't real interested. Posted over a month ago and never came back for anything...

dj

• Ha
Mar 15, 2021
Rhodes 22 Chesapeake Bay
Unless it's your own boat, you have to have insurance to work in a boat yard...

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
No sailboat experience and you’re going to let him work on yours for free? What could go wrong?