Question about replacing one of the Marinco 30A shore power inlets

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
On a 2004 Hunter 36, I plan to replace one of the shore power inlets. I noticed a black plastic protective cover in the cockpit locker, that completely covers the backs of both shore power inlets. It appears to be bonded to the locker (no visible screws).

I hope there is enough spare wire that I can remove the old inlet and pull wire through the hole, so the replacement can be done without prying off the plastic cover in the locker.

I'm trying to plan the job without access to the boat, so I'm hoping someone has done it and can confirm whether or not the plastic cover needs to be removed.

Thanks, Andy

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Well the 'bonding' material may be a less than permanent sealant like silicone or similar.
You might give the seam a nudge with a paint scraper and see if it moves easily.
I think Hunter was aware that these fixtures might require replacing, as my 12v panel guard did many years ago.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I'm trying to plan the job without access to the boat, so I'm hoping someone has done it and can confirm whether or not the plastic cover needs to be removed.
Sorry I am of little help regarding your Hunter 36. A few years back, I replaced the Marinco power inlet with a SmartPlug inlet on my Hunter 33. It was a simple 15 minute job from start to finish. There was ample slack in the wire that allowed me to do the job from the outside. In fact I think you will find that you have to do it from the outside. I do not think you will be able to get at the wire terminal screws that are on the side of the both of the inlets from the inside.
This may be a great time to consider changing over from Marinco to the SmartPlug. Here is a pretty convincing article comparing the 2 designs

Shore Power – SmartPlug vs. 1938

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
That plastic cover came off by itself once on my 07 H-36 but are you sure it needs changing or maybe
just take apart good cleaning.
It is easy to find new parts for sure power.
Nick

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks for the help.

As to whether it needs replacing, I'm not sure but there is a very slight discoloration indicative of past heating somewhere in it's life. I already replaced the shore power cord and cleaned the input terminals and everything seems fine, with no heating issues. But, replacing the whole connector seems like a reasonable thing to do so that we're sure the connection is clean.

Hmm... SmartPlug does look good. Raises the price to around $300 because I'll also need a new 15A pigtail for charging batteries in the winter. Not sure I've seen many of these in the marina so I guess most people are still using the traditional connectors. I'll do some thinking.

Andy

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Hmm... SmartPlug does look good. Raises the price to around $300 because I'll also need a new 15A pigtail for charging batteries in the winter
Before you make your decision based on price, I suggest that you touch base with your marine insurance company. When I initially installed the SmartPlug my insurance company immediately sent me a check for $75. Thereafter, I receive a $50/year discount on my policy. It did not take long to pay for the much safer AC shore cable and boat side receptacle..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Which insurance company sends you money for doing the smart thing?

Nice.

:beer:

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Change to SmartPlug! I did mine and love them. So easy to change, easy to connect and unplug, nice tight seal, etc. I just did the connections at the boat. leave the round connectors at the shore power end of your cables. I have found NO WHERE that has SmartPlug at the shore power ends. That end usually isn't the issue unless you had a real big power issue.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
And the Smart Plug is so much easier/safer to plug into. No fumbling trying to align the prongs like on the standard plug.

Since it only goes on the boat and the boat end of the shore power cable it shouldn't require a new 15A pig tale since you must be using one now.

You might find this article on wintering your batteries helpful. Winter Storage of Batteries
Basically it explains that a fully charged flooded lead acid battery will not freeze and will not self discharge so they do not need to be charged or left on a charger over the winter. Just disconnect them and reconnect in the spring.
My Grp 31 is 4 years old and my GC2 batteries are 3 years old. They get fully charged just before being hauled out. I disconnect and forget them until spring. When I reconnect them they are still fully charged.

I bought the 30A Smart Plug kit that included the new male plug for the shore power cable and the Smart Plug Inlet for the boat. You can find it for about $170.00

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Since it only goes on the boat and the boat end of the shore power cable it shouldn't require a new 15A pig tale since you must be using one now.
I see what you're saying. I hadn't thought of using the boat cable. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Get the smartplug - you won't regret it! I replaced my marinco for the safety and better performance, just in time - when I pulled the marinco out about 1" of the black lead was melted and burned......
I'd remove the black cover; there wasn't much slack in the wire on my 356.
buy the kit with the boat socket and the cord connector, just cut the marinco off the cord and install the smartplug - easy to do. I bought a second connector (plug) and did the same on my shore pigtail for the winter

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Change to the Smart plug
Easier, safer, better designed

There i no logical reason to change to twist locks.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Sorry I am of little help regarding your Hunter 36. A few years back, I replaced the Marinco power inlet with a SmartPlug inlet on my Hunter 33. It was a simple 15 minute job from start to finish. There was ample slack in the wire that allowed me to do the job from the outside. In fact I think you will find that you have to do it from the outside. I do not think you will be able to get at the wire terminal screws that are on the side of the both of the inlets from the inside.
This may be a great time to consider changing over from Marinco to the SmartPlug. Here is a pretty convincing article comparing the 2 designs

I have both a Marinco and a SmartPlug. The SmartPlug was a replacement female cord end with a male plug assembly for the boat. The rubber that is supposed to keep the cord water tight has cracked rendering the cord useless. Ends should be molded.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Make sure you buy those as the replacement ends are a waste of time, effort and money.
How long before yours failed? Maybe call Smart Plug and ask them why it failed?
I'm going on two seasons with mine but will be sure to keep an eye on it.
Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD

:plus: My old cord needed a new female plug on the boat end. I decided to replace it with a Smart plug. However, my old Marinco pretty well dirty, I got a new 50-foot Smart cable, but cut it to 36 feet so as to just fit my boat in it's slip. I bought a new male end for the shore power end. I had a used Marinco, so put it on the smart 13-foot cable. There are a number of boats on my dock that could use this 13-footer since they are stern-in and the boat connector is close to the shore power box. After the spring thaw, I''ll try to sell the shortie with the twist ends on it and maybe my old Marinco 30 amp.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
OK, I give. I have been looking at the Smart Plug since it came out. Just ordered the combo package plus an additional female end for the adapters I carry.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
plus an additional female end for the adapters I carry.
Hummm. You lost me on this one Rick D. What is the additional female end going to be on the used adapters for?

You will be installing a Smartplug inlet from the Combo pkg on your boat. You will then be replacing your current Marinco cord female end with your new Smartplug female end. It is my experience that any adapters will still connect to the existing Marinco cord male plug on the shore side. What am I missing?