Bowsprit Advice Please

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
New-to-me Beneteau 361 - am going to install the pole-type bowsprit for an Asymetric Spinnaker with furling. Probably Selden, but not totally decided. Anyone out there with a Bene 361 and a bowsprit? I'd be very interested in knowing what type of bowsprit gear (brand, pole length, pole diameter) you went with . . . and pics please if possible : )

I was going to wait another year to do this . . . but life's too short . . .

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I mounted a ALU Senden sprit on my First 36.7 to use while cruising. Went with the recommended size (87?), no trick getting that right. The REAL point is respecting the projected/attached ratio when mounting.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Be sure you have a true spinnaker halyard, ie a halyard that exits above the forestay, in place to eliminate difficulty furling the sail following a jibe.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
When you get ready to install your sprit, whatever brand, be sure that the sprit stays clear of the anchor locker hatch in the retracted position. It might take some mathematical ingenuity to set up so that the tip of the sprit lines up with the nose of the bow when extended.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
When you get ready to install your sprit, whatever brand, be sure that the sprit stays clear of the anchor locker hatch in the retracted position. It might take some mathematical ingenuity to set up so that the tip of the sprit lines up with the nose of the bow when extended.
Solid advice.

I'd change 'be sure' to try to', and how hard you try depends on how much you anchor vs fly the kite. With the tack line secured to the bow, it's always possible to detach the pole from it's clip and ring, and lay it securely along the toerail, takes just a seconds, and it's totally out of the way at anchor.

Jan 7, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 361 DI Sint Annaland
Solid advice.

I'd change 'be sure' to try to', and how hard you try depends on how much you anchor vs fly the kite. With the tack line secured to the bow, it's always possible to detach the pole from it's clip and ring, and lay it securely along the toerail, takes just a seconds, and it's totally out of the way at anchor.
New-to-me Beneteau 361 - am going to install the pole-type bowsprit for an Asymetric Spinnaker with furling. Probably Selden, but not totally decided. Anyone out there with a Bene 361 and a bowsprit? I'd be very interested in knowing what type of bowsprit gear (brand, pole length, pole diameter) you went with . . . and pics please if possible : )

Dear sailor,
I made the measurements and drawings for a bowsprit on my OC361 myself. The bowsprit itself is made up of a stainless steel tube, assembled by a stainless steel parts manifacturer and then I mounted the bowsprit myself on my ship. If you are interested, I can send you the drawings - these are accurate to scale.
Guus, Netherlands.

Attachments