Video Blogs - which do you watch and why?

Mar 17, 2020
Cape Dory 9M Puget Sound West
Pacific Yatchfish Systems, Jeff Cote. All you could ever wish to know about boat electric and electronics.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
White Spot Pirates- Nike is quite gal

Got a bit tired of Sailing Vagabonde. They seemed to get a bit high dollar when they got the cat

I've enjoyed SV Delos for a long time. Still do

A few others I log in with once in a while

A new one to me is Annie Hill 'Voyaging with Annie Hill. I''ve read her stuff since her book 'voyaging on a small income' back before she and Peter split up. She has just launched a new self built boat in New Zealand

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
MJ Sailing I followed them since they rehabbed and aluminum boat in Indiantown and then sailed across the Atlantic. They have sold the boat and are awaiting delivery of a Catamaran kit in Annapolis. I also watch White Spot Pirates once in a while but Nike makes me tired.

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
Only one I follow regularly is White Spot Pirates which I've been on board with, so to speak, from the start. I also follow her on facebook, which provides a preview of upcoming videos. (She's currently working on electrical upgrades.)

Not a vlog, but maybe worth watching if you have an hour and a half to spare, is this documentary of Aron Meder's 2007-9ish circumnavigation in a 19' boat.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
We're not Patreons for any that we watch, although I think that maybe we should do that for a few that we really enjoy. We have made plenty of donations, buy their swag from time to time, subscribe and always give them a "like". They all seem to encourage subscriptions and "likes" but I've never felt pressured to join as Patreon. I really appreciate the work effort they put into their product and I don't find any of the ones we watch as overly aggressive for endorsement. I think they all approach the matter in a fair way. I can appreciate that they do have to do a certain amount of advertising and solicitation to continue putting out a product that is worthwhile for us to watch. I'm becoming more & more disenchanted with YouTube and their advertising is increasingly aggressive and intrusive.

Is anybody contributing money via Patreon?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm becoming more & more disenchanted with YouTube and their advertising is increasingly aggressive and intrusive.
YouTube is using the same tactic drug pushers and other product oriented businesses do; get the customers hooked on it for free or cheap and then raise the prices. Or in their case, demonstrate their list of clients (hits) to advertisers.
I figured this out back in the days when you could fill out a questionnaire to apply for professional journals. They didn't care if you misrepresented yourself by overstating your importance. They showed their advertisers these subscriber demographics.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I watch: Delos.. excellent camera, sound and story work.. , Sailing Uma.. and Sailing Zatara.. We enjoy watching the narrow boat stuff from the UK for the scenery and strangeness of the boats .. Really cool that they've rehabilitated the old canals and locks and that so many people enjoy them..

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
No one mentioned the granddaddy (and grand mommy) of them all - Distant Shores. The Shards pioneered this work, and still produce high-quality travel videos, including educational specials on planning and seamanship. I know they are not as "reality star" exciting (Paul is well past his bikini days!) but they do a really good sailing show.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Is anybody contributing money via Patreon?
I did for Sailing Uma for a while. Then my credit card expired and I got cut off, didn't worry about updating it, so currently no. I've never done that before or since. But Sailing Uma had a nice "for patrons only" site that allowed for more interaction the them. But I did find Patreon to be rather a hassle so I didn't worry about not renewing...

dj

Jan 28, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Lake Lanier
My favorite is Sailing Millennial Falcon. She's a trooper and very easy on the eyes, he's an engineer and entertaining. The boat is old and challenges them, which they accept with good humor. No kids yet and doesn't seem staged.
Sailing Uma is awesome because of the locations and the home made electric boat. I find the electric motor concept cool.
Delos is great when they actually sail and it's not just about the baby.
Same with Vagabonde.
One I just found is Sailing Bacchus. The couple is entertaining and they show the good and the bad of cruising.

garry

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 36 Mk2 San Diego
Barnegat, NJ! I used to go fishing with my uncle out of there. It's quite an inlet! To answer your question, the number one rated sailing vlog on Youtube--and in my mind--is Sailing Faire Isle. Steve and Judy are in their '50's, have backgrounds in broadcasting, and produce VERY professional videos that are sometimes travel logs and sometimes how-to maintenance discussions. You'll really like the mature approach they take. None of it is T&A or drinking-related. Enjoy!

Oct 15, 2019
Columbia C-24 Wilmington, CA
A few that I like:
Sailing Zatara
Sailing Zingaro
Tula's Endless Summer
Learning The Lines
Sailing into Freedom
Boattest.com
Sailing Triteia
Sailboat Story
Why We Sail

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A few that I like:
Sailing Zatara
Sailing Zingaro
Tula's Endless Summer
Learning The Lines
Sailing into Freedom
Boattest.com
Sailing Triteia
Sailboat Story
Why We Sail
The Zingaro guy seems a bit over his head with his diesel issues...

Looks like he finally figured it out, but a lot of wild goose chases.

Greg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I AVOID watching them when the focus is on relationships. I am interested in Sailing.

If i wanted a nice people relationship show I would watch old episodes of MASH or Archie Bunker or something.

I want to either learn from them or simply get a feel for a sailing location.

"Keep Turning Left" by Dylan Winters was one of the latter and i enjoy his videos.
Admitedly, he apparently expected to pay for his travels with the youtube videos, and now he laments that the young bikini boat babe channels make money, and he only gets a few Old Blokes watching.

Admittedly some are good sources of what not to do.

If Larry and Lin Pardey were still sailing, I would watch them.

Is anybody contributing money via Patreon
No. I generally see that as the equivalent of funding "beg-packing".

The exception would be a one time purchase of a compilation of actual info.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Long distance sailing is boring enough when I do it, it must be ten times so watching someone else do it. When the sh*t hits the fan, I can't imagine taking the time to film things when their lives are on the line, so I'm guessing those scenes are recreated later for the "show".
I did try a few repair videos about things like working with carbon fiber, which I knew nothing about, but even there, those folks were so in love with their own voices that it got immensely boring and repetitive very quickly.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
, so I'm guessing those scenes are recreated later for the "show".
Amazingly in some cases, it is recorded at the time, if only in snippets.

The Drake Paragon youtube channel is a good example. Last few vidéos had events while being tied to a dock while icebergs were causing problems.
Often it it is just a recap of the event. When the crew of Paragon had steering failure is a good example.

You would be surprised what some people do shoot. After all, it results in views, which likely allows them to travel in the first place. Many seem to rely on views to pay for their life..