Deck paint

M

Member 131497

Hi again
After 2 days of painting the non skid i came back to peel off the blue duck tape and while peeling it i noticed immediately that some areas tbe tape was taking off the 2 coats of deck paint with it. Such deck paint was done a week ago. What could be tbe reason for this? The paint used was TOTAL BOAT. Any similar experience any of you had with this paint or other brands?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It is tough deck paint. Once the paint dried it adhered to the tape. A little late now, in the future pull the tape before the pain dries or run a razor knife along the edge of the tape to cut the paint. I've had this happen with varnish and house hold paints.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Is this the one part polyurethane topside paint? That paint is easy to apply but it's not very tough. The PO of my last boat used it. It was flaking off in high flex areas such as the cockpit floor. You might have some luck "scoring" the edge with a razor blade

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
What paint system did you use as I am interested in same for a 1984 motor yacht.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Yes, remove tape at end of day. I'm about half way finished with my deck. Rustoleum marine primer then Rustoleum Marine Topsides. Total boat nonskid on nonskid areas. I'll post some photos. Followed Boatworks today how to... it's a one part paint, good for a DIY. Roll & tip means if I make mistakes...repairs should look similar, very simple but time consuming job. Used Total boat fairing compound, 2 parts equal mixed, turns blue/yellow to green for go...like a bondo for boats, had to drill out a few cracks, screw holes, and some gelcoat repair. Hardest part was removing hardware, some I gave up and taped around job. Good luck.

M

Member 131497

What paint system did you use as I am interested in same for a 1984 motor yacht.
My deck was used and abused by previous owners. Plenty of crazing, cracks, ect.
I used Pettit EZ primer 2 qts, 2 qts of total boat deck paint, 2 qts Pettit non skid(this non skid is too abrasive look for something a little more civilized, tnis thing will take your skin off. Theres no way too fix it since its already mixed)
80 grit for the smooth deck areas, then 220 then primer, 220,primer 220, first coat, wait 2 days, second coat. Tape off.
Wait a couple days, tape the painted areas do the nin skid. I did prep the non skid with bronze wool(metal wool will leave behind residue that will rust and ruin your paint) basically that was it. (it took 3 months average 6 hrs a day, depending on weather, ect to accomplish this task. Be advised.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
i came back to peel off the blue duck tape
Did you really use duck tape for your paint project? That would certainly cause problems. Next time get the green stuff, not the blue painters tape sold at home depot.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
"duck" tape, more accurately called duct tape has become common naming for very sticky tape. It's like calling all tissues "Kleenex".
These are really painters tape, not duct tape. They are much less sticky so they don't pull off underlying material. The green tape is preferred by most painters. It wouldn't have mattered here. It should still have been pulled off wet or traced with a blade

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Painting deck myself. Motivation is marina quoted over $24000 to do the work. Probably more than the boat is worth. I didn't tape off white parts because nonskid will go over my mistakes. Recipe = Rustoleum-Primer-Topsides Total Boat Nonskid. Maybe I made a mistake, maybe I'm Michelangelo or Picasso, we'll see in a few weeks (months?) So far it's just time, cost is well under $500 and my time...well messing about in boats is as good as any other activity.

Attachments

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Prep work for one-part and two part paints is essentially the same. And it's a lot of work. One-part paints don't last as long, so you'll be doing it again sooner. We used 2-part paint (Interthane Plus IIRC) on our deck about 15 years ago, and after 12 years it was wearing off from being chafed with lines, etc, and needed redoing. We tried Interdeck (one-part Interlux) to see how that worked on part of the deck. After one year it was looking OK. After two, it was... tired. Since it needed re-doing anyway, we sanded it all off and repainted the entire deck & cockpit with Awlgrip this past summer. We figure it will be another 12 years before we need to think about it again.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
As I learned back in my model building days, you should try to peel the tape off before the paint has cured. Dry enough that you don't mess it up, but still soft. You don't want to leave it on too long anyway, even the good stuff can be hard to remove if allowed to dry out in the sun.