Code Zero on a Hunter 376

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 376 Tarrytown
Probably I am not alone, watching Youtubes of the state-of-the-art sails launch in seconds, with fabulous colors, and an aggressive bow wave.
I want that! Given our 2021 world mess, there is no better way to isolate than trimming a big beautiful new sail.
It's a pretty big commi$$men$, so I thought to post the question. Is there a real Hunter owner that has actually installed one?
Any advice would be welcome.
1) Did you install a sprit?
2) Real world impressions on the performance across the range of apparent wind.
3) Do you shorthand or double-hand?
4) How many times a season do you deploy it?
PS: I'm dodging corona in the greater NY area.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
sails launch in seconds,
It is a magical event to watch. Maybe they are speeding up the video...
They are called Top Down Furlers. Cost about $2100-2600.
They are difficult to use as a solo sailor. One of the issues is you need to control the speed of the unit as it unfurls. If you do not have a crew member controlling the furler as it unwinds you can get what is called a backwrap.

Sprits get the sail out and away from the bow giving you more room to fly the sail. It is nice but not required to fly a sail to help you while dealing with light breezes.

Here I am having just rigged my new asymmetrical, no top down furler. There are 2 of us aboard. I handled the bow action attaching the sail to it's halyard, running the sheets to the stern and attaching the tack. I then hoisted the sail. Once in positon I hoisted the sock to the top and the sail unfurled and caught the wind. It looks glorious. You should do it.
IMG_0685.JPG

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Probably I am not alone, watching Youtubes of the state-of-the-art sails launch in seconds, with fabulous colors, and an aggressive bow wave.
I want that! Given our 2021 world mess, there is no better way to isolate than trimming a big beautiful new sail.
It's a pretty big commi$$men$, so I thought to post the question. Is there a real Hunter owner that has actually installed one?
Any advice would be welcome.
1) Did you install a sprit?
2) Real world impressions on the performance across the range of apparent wind.
3) Do you shorthand or double-hand?
4) How many times a season do you deploy it?
PS: I'm dodging corona in the greater NY area.
are you actually interested in a code zero, which is a somewhat specialized close reaching sail, or are you interested in an asym spinnaker, as discussed in the above reply post?

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 376 Tarrytown
Thanks Sailfanatic. I am really looking at code zero, this time. I already have an asym in a dousing sock.
Typically that one comes out about 3 times a year, although in 2020, closer to 7 or 8 times. Huzzah. And as per the earlier post, definitely it requires double-handed assistance. (by my safety threshold anyway)

Attachments

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I don't think you'll get much feedback on code sails outside a racing savy audience. I'd try the Sailing Anarchy crew.

Oct 22, 2014
definitely it requires double-handed assistance. (by my safety threshold anyway)
That is a reasonable safety plan. As with so much of sailing the asymmetrical can be managed solo. It requires a system and mild to moderate conditions. I think conservative in manner and conditions to raise the sail. If you solo sail conservative thinking makes sense. Just like “reef early “ is a plan.

At the same time solo sailing encourages the use of jacklines and tethers. One more step is the wear gear like a dry suit to improve protection should you fall off the boat.

The code zero is a good sail especially for a boat that races or a cruiser who sails more than powering when the wind is on your nose.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............Is there a real Hunter owner that has actually installed one?..............1) Did you install a sprit? 2) Real world impressions on the performance across the range of apparent wind. 3) Do you shorthand or double-hand? 4) How many times a season do you deploy it? ...............
I used a top down furler with my asymmetrical spinnaker on my Hunter 386. 1) Did not require a bow sprit since it is a fractional rig and the asym halyard cleared the jib furler. I attached the foot to the bow anchor roller. 2) Excellent performance on a broad reach. 3) Double hand. 4) Used it once in a long downwind race from San Francisco to Benicia.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I dont think a code 0 will do much more than installing largest genoa that will fit on boat
Screenshot_20200819-201300_Chrome.jpg
20200209_143244.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Large Genoa's are great and versatile in many wind conditions. But when the breezes get light, the weight of the sail is hard to over come. Genoa 7.5 oz cloth versus a code zero or an asymmetrical at 1.5 oz or 0.75 oz cloth.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
It’s my understanding that the luff of the code 0 is much more “stable” than the asym.

A little forward “flex” of the masthead probably doesn’t effect the asym but logically would be an issue for the Code 0.

If you are using it to improve upwind performance your main is sheeted tight to act like an adjustable backstay and prevent the B&R from that flex. As the main is let out farther it would loose more of that capability. Obviously wind strength is an issue with all of that so it comes down to how you see the sail fitting the type of sailing you do.

Fitting a top down system that would let you have both the asym and Code 0 ready to go with each having its own torsion rope to just clip on and hoist would be pretty slick! :)

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 376 Tarrytown
Thanks Hunter216.
I actually had not previously considered the B&R implications of the code 0.
I have a quote for, what to me, is a big sail. 705 sq.ft.!!
That is pretty much the same area as the factory 105% jib and roller furling main combined.

Might I need to take steps to counter masthead deflection?
This one will need a second opinion for sure. :huh:

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thanks Hunter216.
I actually had not previously considered the B&R implications of the code 0.
I have a quote for, what to me, is a big sail. 705 sq.ft.!!
That is pretty much the same area as the factory 105% jib and roller furling main combined.

Might I need to take steps to counter masthead deflection?
This one will need a second opinion for sure. :huh:
Venturing somewhat outside my pay grade :) but our little 216 with a B&R rig I know will “flex” when I load up the asym (maybe a little more than prudent :) ) The furled headsail will sort of sag and flop.

That of course doesn’t mean that your boat will do the same, you would push your boat like that, or the sag would have any real impact on the shape of the Code 0.

Experienced sailmaker would be able to offer an opinion much more valid than my armchair quarterbacking ;)

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 376 Tarrytown
Are you from Kingston, Ont?
I have happy images of hundred little Opti sails rounding the mark at Canadian Olympic Regatta Kingston (CORK)