320 wireless wind sensor

HD74

Dec 27, 2016
Hunter 340 Pickwick tn
I am installing a band wireless wind sensor model 320. I am not sure where I can mount the Bluetooth. I am wondering if I can mount it in the cabin or in a closet in the cabin. Can it be mounted either horizontal or vertically. I can mount it on a stern rail but I have so many thins mounted there! Any help would be greatly. Thanks so much

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Don't they come with installation instructions?

HD74

Dec 27, 2016
Hunter 340 Pickwick tn
They did however they did not address my questions and I was hoping to get some help. Thanks for your help

HD74

Dec 27, 2016
Hunter 340 Pickwick tn
I am installing a band wireless wind sensor model 320. I am not sure where I can mount the Bluetooth. I am wondering if I can mount it in the cabin or in a closet in the cabin. Can it be mounted either horizontal or vertically. I can mount it on a stern rail but I have so many thins mounted there! Any help would be greatly. Thanks so much

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
You’ll get more responses when not posting in multiple area. What is the brand B&G? Those thing are expensive, I would expect the instructions for the manufacture to promptly answer your questions

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
You'll get much better performance if the bluetooth interface is in the open. I suspect you may not get reception at all if you mounted it below.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I am assuming you are using BandG - pretty “thin” documentation :) so I can understand your problem.

3ECDA602-C568-4C0A-85F2-3644CE55AE87.png

So in the two page manual it says wireless range is <= 98ft. I assume that’s the best case scenario - pure line of site, no interference, full power etc. Real life it’s likely quite a bit less.

I’m guessing your sensor would be at least 50ft above the deck and placing the Bluetooth device INSIDE the cabin would introduce some further distance and degradation of signal due to having to pass through solid material and being close to other devices that could generate “interference”.

The only way to tell would be to get it paired, mounted on the masthead and have enough of the cable that connects it to your NMEA 2000 backbone to try different locations. No idea if orientation would introduce any loss of signal.

Hope that helps:)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. I did not get that from bandg
Your welcome. :) I’m curious why you didn’t go with a wired version?

I recall seeing some others threads where others had reliability issues with wireless - not sure they were B&G though - maybe Garmin.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I had a terrible experience with the Garmin wireless wind sensor. Gave up on it and went to wired

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
That’s quit a distance for bluetooth
I would agree it is not the best wireless tech for this application, having one solar-charged-battery powered partner of the “pair” on top of a mast isn’t ideal;)

I think in Bluetooth 5 they added the capability to increase the theoretical range to 800ft - at the cost of lowered data throughput.

Personally I would want a wired connection to the masthead. Luckily I don’t sail a boat that even needs one ;)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a Tac tic wireless wind instrument on my O’Day 322. I don’t have any issues with the wireless communication between the masthead and the display, but I would have preferred an upgraded model that had some connectivity to either Seatalk, 0183 or N2K. I cannot see the wind data on my CP, autopilot or anything other than the dedicated Tac Tic display.

Greg