Reindeer on my roof.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It's been reported that we're spreading more holiday cheer this season. It must be so. I lashed a small Christmas tree to my roof and strung it tightly with 400 LED lights.

The little Scotch Pine thumps like Reindeer hoofs way up there when the wind gusts rise above 30.

Christmas day is forecast to blow a hoolie of a gale into our harbor. 65 MPH gusts. I'd better tighten the lashings tomorrow.

Can you see the tree?

Merry Christmas.

Rockport Marine 2020 2.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ah. A beacon of Christmas joy up on the Widows Walk.
A commanding space to view the harbor below.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
That night photo is worthy of a Christmas card Cover. Great photo. Thanks for sharing.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
The Christmas storm of 2020 was no match for the Young tree. A couple of extra lashings. Still standing.
The Young Tree 2020.JPG

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
question tom? is your railing wood, metal or plastic?

the old family home has an old heavy metal rail. thinking of going plastic.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
question tom? is your railing wood, metal or plastic?

the old family home has an old heavy metal rail. thinking of going plastic.
It would be plastic Jon, but I couldn't find a profile in plastic to please me eye. So the railing is cut from a 4X4 pressure treated timber. The ballusters and top and bottom smaller rail are also pressure treated. They will require a little painting but I don't think they will degrade even in the severe weather up there.

The whole railing assembly floats 1/4" above an anodized aluminum cap that covers the sides of the roof walk, which are also roof.The railing is captured by metal pegs (you might see one in the corner) that keep it from blowing off. That way, there are no penetrations of the roof beneath.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
8:30 am widows walk.jpg

PS, I didn't place the metal pegs in the corner until I found the whole thing had moved several inches in a blow.