Dang lifeline broke - CD?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Has anyone bought lifelines from Catalina Direct?

I'm in a bit of a hurry and don't mind paying a premium for the sake of expedience ($259.95 or $343.12 depending on which kit you choose, but I like the deluxe one, of course).

I'm also not interested in Dyneema right now. Need to get this done right away. No time to learn any new tricks!

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
How about a quick fix using one of these.
I just used two of their 1/8” toggles to terminate my lower lifelines to the toe rail aft. Worked pretty slick and were $25 each at Defender

Sep 30, 2013
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the deluxe kit. We're already using CD's standing rigging, so if I trust that, I guess I can trust their lifelines.

One of the threaded male ends snapped off flush in a female end (crevice corrosion). It broke under almost zero strain, just unhooking the pelican hook, the section of lifeline fell off in my hand. So I have to assume all the other connections are suspect also.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
bare wire is the better way to go. The vinyl jacket traps water and hides the corrosion when it begins.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
One of the threaded male ends snapped off flush in a female end (crevice corrosion). It broke under almost zero strain, just unhooking the pelican hook, the section of lifeline fell off in my hand. So I have to assume all the other connections are suspect also.
Ugh. Sorry to hear that, Gene. Hope the CD kit gets you back on the water quickly.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
When I added the Suncor end to my vinyl coated lines I cut them back about 3 feet and there was rust on the cable. I'll be going with uncoated for my next lines

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Have the delux kit from a few years ago, finally installed. Sweet.
Heres the caveat, make damm sure all, and i do mean ALL the threaded parts are either tight (snug) or in the middle of their adjustment range.
Installed the gate ring, didn't realize 1/2 the threads were out, then after crimp finding out that the run is 3/4” too short, just enough to require a rebuild, with yes, new parts.

Sep 30, 2013
Is CD coating their SS lines? Just curious. I see cracks in mine.
It's an option. Costs about $20 more I think. I agree it's a bad idea. Daydream had plastic coated when we bought her, it was all cracked and rusty and terrible looking. I laboriously removed the plastic and acid-bathed the lines. That was like six years ago, so not surprising to have one break on me now. Good timing at least, with the boat on the trailer in my yard. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
I guess I should update this thread, for the sake of posterity.

I'm 100% happy with our new CD lifelines. The crimper tool included with the kit did a very clean looking job, and the pelican hooks look and function better than the (presumably) original ones. The cable cutters (also included with the kit) were sufficient, although I will say barely. It took every ounce of strength I had to make each cut. I recommend making a practice cut before the real ones, just so you know what's coming.

Time will tell as far as longevity goes. And hopefully they never actually get tested. :)

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
Interested in your reluctance to try Dyneema, Gene.
I have heard several of our club members using it recently.
Have others here used it, and what has been their experience?

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Interested in your reluctance to try Dyneema, Gene.
I have heard several of our club members using it recently.
Have others here used it, and what has been their experience?
Mine came with dyneema lifelines but it was done by a PO so I know nothing about installation. It was stated that standing rigging was replaced in 2016 so I would guess that it is that old and it seems to still be in fine shape