Creature Comfort Enhancements on O'Day 26

Nov 25, 2013
O'Day 26 325 Lake Erie, Sandusky, OH
Over the Covid-19 summer of 2020 my O'Day 26 stayed on the trailer in my driveway. I took the opportunity to do a few projects and thought I would share the results with the group. These were pretty easy projects and really make a big difference in the feel of the boat. I can't wait to try them out next season!

AnchorRollerWDanforthjpg.jpg

I built this custom anchor roller and installed for my Danforth Anchor! There was no good accommodation for an anchor attachment on this boat as the anchor rode chafe was on the rub rail and side of boat. This roller is attached by 4 3/8" SS bolts with 1/8" aluminum plate backers.

GrabBarAndTowelHangerAboveV-BerthDoor.jpg

This SS Grab Bar is installed above the B-Berth access and will serve as a rod for a towel to hang in this doorway for privacy. Also, is a sturdy grab bar for use when getting in and out of the berthing area.

GrabBarsInV-BerthAndHead.jpg

I also installed grab bars in the V-Berth and in the head as it is difficult to do your business in rough seas because there is really nothing to hold on to. This will be a welcome -hold on for dear life- accoutrement on those long passages on the Great Lakes!

LiquorCabInstalledClosed.jpg

I decided to put this frivolous addition onto my starboard bulkhead. When I head out for a week or so, I like to take some liquor along for the ride and never have a good place to put it. Solution...

LiquorCabInstalledOpen.jpg

A cabinet with a tray attached!

StockedLiquorCabinet.jpg

...and well stocked.

StoveClosed.jpg

I painted the galley area white just because I like the look of the white paint against varnished teak. It really brightened up the cabin. Here you can see the stove locker closed up. I did an extensive modification on the inside of the stove locker as well.

StoveOpen.jpg

Here you can see the stove locker open. The stove is a stainless steel, Gas One stove which runs on butane or propane. It is bolted down so, when you put it away, you just fold the locker door up and the stove fits in the recess where the fuel is - in this picture. There is room in the bottom of the locker for some pans and to the left room for a coffee maker and a half pound of coffee. Top shelf has eating utensils and the propane hose. Really slick. It has put some organization into an area that was always a jumble of stuff held in place as best I could with bungie cords.

I also installed the teak plate and cup holder above the ice box.

If you look to the right of the battery charger, you will see a dimmer switch. This goes to the LED strip lights I installed on both the port and starboard sides below the back rests and inside and above the stove locker. Provides some ambient lighting in an otherwise pretty dim saloon. As I said, I can't wait to try this stuff out.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The anchor roller looks great! Nice work!

The grab rails are a great idea! I've resorted to leaning up against one bulkhead and pushing my head into the ceiling in heavy seas for support!

I'm also curious about the bulkhead finishing. The color looks much better than what's in my 25

Nov 25, 2013
Yes. It is tongue and groove oak planking I got unfinished from Menards. I used spruce furring strips against the hull which I attached with thixo epoxy (after removing the fabric and backing material and cleaning the wall up with a wire brush and scraper, and wiping down with acetone.) Before putting the planking on I filled in between the furring strips with foil covered bubble wrap as an insulator. I bonded that to the wall with liquid nails construction adhesive. I stained and pre-varnished all the wood before installation. I did a similar job in the saloon a few years ago and documented the entire process in "O'Day owner modifications". That was much harder as I made the ash and red oak planking from scratch and glassed the furring strips to the hull. I am really happy with how the planking in the V-Berth came out! Thanks for asking.

Chris

Nov 25, 2013
The anchor roller looks great! Nice work!

The grab rails are a great idea! I've resorted to leaning up against one bulkhead and pushing my head into the ceiling in heavy seas for support!

I'm also curious about the bulkhead finishing. The color looks much better than what's in my 25
So... the bulkheads have the original stain on them. I sanded them down and began putting teak oil on them -1 coat per weekend for the whole summer 2 years ago. I wouldnt recommend it as it remained soft all last summer - a year after application. Also, the bulkhead that I installed the liquor cabinet on had patches where I got too aggressive with the sander and it looked pretty bad although had a nice satin finish. The cabinet covered all that up so - I dodged the bullet on that. And - the teak oil finally cured and is no longer sticky. I would say if you use a pigmented varnish like a mahogany varnish stain you would get similar results. After the experience with the teak oil, I lightly sanded the V-Berth side of the bulkhead and applied a couple of light coats of wipe on polyurethane with great results. Have fun with it.

Chris

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I stained a bulkhead when I replaced it as well as the wooden storage covers under the cushions. There was no sticky residue but mold/mildew built up pretty quickly on the covers. I'll probably throw some varnish on them to hopefully mitigate that

Nov 25, 2013
I stained a bulkhead when I replaced it as well as the wooden storage covers under the cushions. There was no sticky residue but mold/mildew built up pretty quickly on the covers. I'll probably throw some varnish on them to hopefully mitigate that
Be sure to clean the mold off with a 50/50 solution of bleach and water. I keep a dozen containers of damp rid around my boat during the winter and always remove any water in the boat when I leave it buttoned up and havent had a mold problem in the 8 years I've had the boat. I also prop the cushions up by removing the covers from the settee storage and putting the narrow dimension in the settee storage area and allowing the end sticking out to hold the cushions up. This allows air flow throughout these lockers. I do the same thing in the V-Berth storage. Why did you replace the bulkhead?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
In the past I've taken the cushions out for winter storage. I took on a boat partner this year and he got us a major discount and split the cost for indoor heated storage. Our biggest project this winter is rebedding deck fittings. They're leaking like crazy! The good news is the mildew cleans up very easily with soap and a brush.

The chainplate leaked and caused it the bulkhead to rot. I discovered this an hour after I bought the boat. The PO had some heavy steel plates fabricated and powder coated but I opted to just replace it anyways.

Nov 25, 2013
I did a repair job on a rotted chain plate as I didn't have the nerve to yank the bulkhead all the way out. I figured if it didn't work I would replace the bulkhead the next year. That was several years ago. I found the place I had documented it as well as where the planking in the saloon was documented at the address below. I think it is a different web site than this one. I don't think I would fabricate another anchor roller for you. sorry, it was a fairly involved project and I would just rather not revisit it. in fact, if I did another one I would buy one and modify it to fit.
Oday 26 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
Holy smokes, your 26 is in amazing shape! Mine isn't bad, but it's not that immaculate. I like to imagine if I had a trailer and I could bring her home every day that she would look that good.

Great job, I'm saving this for inspiration.

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks for sayin' I have almost upsized twice since having the 26 and haven't because I really want the trailerable experience. Trailers aren't cheap (if bought new) but neither is winter storage. I store in a barn near home (Beavercreek, OH) for about 250 bucks. If I left the boat at the lake (Erie) it's about a thousand additional dollars for indoor storage so I save that every year.A brand new galvanized tandem trailer with brakes is about 8k so the payback takes a while. but the convenience may well be worth it. My trailer is getting pretty old and is not galvanized - thus has a bit of rust. I keep it painted and in good repair though. If I decide to get a new one - I'll remind myself to reach out to you - perhaps you would be interested in my old one which I would sell relatively cheap. Of course you would need to be close enough to make it practical to make the drive. All the best of luck to you. Happy Sailing!

Chris

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks Oliver. A labor of love to be sure. Get inspired and do just one small project at a time. I've gotta say though - if you want to upgrade to a bigger boat, do that first. All the best -

Chris