Of sailing ships

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have enjoyed the tale of the Charles W Morgan. She is a reclaimed and refitted Brig from the 1800’s. Thanks to the folks at Mystic Seaport Museum she again graces the waters of the East Coast.

The article s the history and magic of sailing a square rigger. The art of the design and the designer.

What caught my eye was this paragraph.

“Some ships sail fine, but not this easily. What’s fun about it is that she’s a sweetheart of a sailing ship. This is the sort of ship you can sail into harbors, on and off the dock, under sail—if you knew her. Getting used to her didn’t take that long. She has done everything we’ve asked of her.”​
Even today we need to take some time to get to know our boats. Only then do you begin the connection with your boat. Then you can begin to appreciate the design good or bad of the boat. You can begin to understand how you can work with or against the designers intent.

I encourage you to take some time to sit in your boat and explore the geometry and lines of the boat. The synergy of the rig. The symmetry that gives her motion.

The fun of sailing