New portlights

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
I have a question. I have a 1978 Chrysler 26.
I just replaced all eight of the port lights. I used quarter inch tinted acrylic and attach them to the boat using very high bonding tape. I used the old port lights as a template to have the acrylic custom cut. The new acrylic windows are a half an inch bigger than the port light holes on the boat haul all around. I originally was going to use 1/2 inch wide very high bonding tape but realized that I did not have much room for sealant around the tape. So, i use 1/4 inch very high bonding tape. I guess I just want some reassurance that the 1/4 inch very high binding tape will work OK.

thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Are these fixed portlights? When I replaced mine I bonded them directly to the cabin top with the butyl material. I made sure to offset the butyl down about 3/8" from the edge of the acrylic. This left a small gap. After masking the acrylic and the cabin top I filled the gap with Dow 795 structural silicone. I used my finger to tool the adhesive nicely. The sun can bake the butyl through the transparent acrylic, especially on days when it gets over 100 degrees. Water and dirt can get in the interface and eventually it may fail.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Are these fixed portlights? When I replaced mine I bonded them directly to the cabin top with the butyl material. I made sure to offset the butyl down about 3/8" from the edge of the acrylic. This left a small gap. After masking the acrylic and the cabin top I filled the gap with Dow 795 structural silicone. I used my finger to tool the adhesive nicely. The sun can bake the butyl through the transparent acrylic, especially on days when it gets over 100 degrees. Water and dirt can get in the interface and eventually it may fail.
Same here, except instead of butyl tape, use 3M VHB (very high bond) double-sided tape, then the Dow 795. No screws. Did that several years ago and everything's holding up well.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
I did the same as SailingCal21- 3M VHB tape and Down 795- was actually easier than I thought, and the window is still in place and no leaks

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
I did the same as SailingCal21- 3M VHB tape and Down 795- was actually easier than I thought, and the window is still in place and no leaks
Do you think it will be okay with 1/4" vhb tape?