Pricing new Dodger & Bimini

May 7, 2019
Hunter 33.5 Minisceongo Yacht Club New Yor
Hello all,
I'm in the process of getting a new dodger & bikini for my 1988 Hunter 33.5. I received a quote between $2200-$3600 for the dodger &
$1900-$2800 for the bimini.
I already have a dodger frame and just need a new dodge. Will need a new frame for the bimini. The question is, does these quotes seem reasonable to you? I live on the east coast by the way.

Brian

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I still am shocked by BOAT (Break Out Another Thousand ) prices! These may be acceptable. The devil is in the details. Will the bimini have a window? Side curtains? Make sure it doesn't interfere with the boom. Dodgers are foreign to me. I imagine that the more window area the better for forward visibility. They probably drive up cost too.

May 7, 2019
The options is what's driving up the cost. I'll take pics of the existing old dodger and tell them to quote for a replacement like that. As far as the bimini is concerned, not sure if rail or deck mount makes a big difference but I imagine the rail mount is less expensive. Just wondering if even the beginning price range is reasonable.

Brian

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hello all,
I'm in the process of getting a new dodger & bikini for my 1988 Hunter 33.5. I received a quote between $2200-$3600 for the dodger &
$1900-$2800 for the bimini.
I already have a dodger frame and just need a new dodge. Will need a new frame for the bimini. The question is, does these quotes seem reasonable to you? I live on the east coast by the way.

Brian
An important aspect of shopping for dodgers and canvas is to understand the materials and the different grades. Quotes should include a description of the cloth and eisenglass (if used) tobe included. There are different grades and weights, with resulting impact on lifetime, ease of handling, ad weight.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
In general, those quotes aren't out of line but the devil is in the details.

May 7, 2019
This is true. It just seems a bit much for that but I'm starting to believe the price range is within reason.

Brian

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
Not that it's for everyone, and perhaps of little help when comparing or evaluating prices, but I went the DIY route, bough a Sailrite machine, bought a Sailrite Dodger kit, bought tubes and had bending done locally, learned to sew in the process.

• Sailrite machine (with stuff): $1200
  • Dodger Kit: $600
  • Extra Material & supplies for bimini: $300
  • Extra (fancy) snap installer tools, die, and stuff: $300
  • Tubes and bending: $700
  • Frame fittings: $200
Ballpark total: $3300 (Canadian)

The reality is that it is the labour that costs you. The materials are, relatively speaking, not that expensive (at least before any markup). Make sure you spend a little more for "lifetime" thread, or you will be re-stitching this stuff ever 5-10 years and that will cost you 5 times more that the cost of the lifetime thread in the first place. The other observation is that the quality I ended up with was dramatically better than the local canvas workers in my area. I added cell phone pockets, loops for hanging things, and many other custom add-ons that are easy to do yourself, but expensive to have your canvas-worker come to you boat over and over again to do.

In the end, I now have all the tools to make other stuff, and have subsequently made: dinghy paddle bags, outboard motor cover, bow pulpit seat cover, companionway rain cover, repaired and rebuilt my mainsail cover, interior cushions, custom fit binnacle cover, awning between dodger and bimini, similar things for my wife's Shark, and loads of things for around the house, repair and rebuilt both winter covers, and much more.

Now, it is time consuming for a DIY'er to do it. For sure.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
May 7, 2019
That's amazing. If I were to try that mine would look like a cheap patch job. I know my limits and will stick to someone that does that for a living. Good to know the total price is not far off the range I got though. Many thanks.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
When we got a new dodger in 2011 I was told by the builder that a large part of the $3,500 cost was the frame, and he could rebuild all of the soft parts for about $1,000.

Now the stitching is breaking down and the canvas is a bit shabby, and we want a different color, so I got 3 quotes for the soft parts, all between $3,500 and $4,200. 2 are from the immediate bay area and 1 from the delta area. It appears that both labor and material costs have escalated.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We bought a bimini from the canvas guys on this site, SBO, and a custom awning to my design that ties into the bimini and covers the cabin at anchor or in port. I was very happy when we bought them, and they are still in good shape 15 years later. And their prices are very reasonable. Give them a try, and compare with your current quote.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
The reality is that it is the labour that costs you.
Without a doubt.

I would suggest the dodger and bimini be built using the following or similar materials. They would not add a great deal to the total cost yet will push the replacement time way out there.

1. Sunbrella SeaMark material on the roof part of both your dodger and bimini. The rest of the material can simply be Sunbrella
2. Use only Strataglass, Eisenglass or similar quality vinyl;
3. Tenara or Sailrite thread (lifetime threads)

If you are going to keep the boat into the future buy for longevity. I had a dodger replaced on an existing frame in 2009 ($1,100) and 3 years later the windows were starting to fog and it needed to be restiched in many places. I had a dodger built for me in 2012 ($3,750) and it is still in like new condition.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The price for fitting new fabric to an existing frame seems highish. But you want good materials - especially for the windows. As for the bimini, you might like to look at stock bimini's on sites that cater to powerboats. A couple of bows and some polyester cloth will not be $1900 to $2800.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I've a h326 with metal arch with 2-parts bimini (fro & aft of arch). Does SBO has the h326 Bimini pattern such that they could fabricate one set without me taking dimensions?
Anyone any idea?

Ken Y

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The bimini should include a cover for when it's closed. My Strataglass window also has a removable cover. The window is needed to watch the Windex. I would want removable panels for the dodger windows as well to protect them from scratches.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
6 BOAT bucks.
It is all about yours and the crews personal comfort. What is that worth?
Pricing the canvas for a dodger as much as a new sail. Feels a bit much.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I would want removable panels for the dodger windows as well to protect them from scratches.
Different schools of thought whether to cover or not to cover. Seems to come down to if protection from UV is needed then absolutely cover: otherwise, it is a item for discussion over a beer.

Covering Strataglass