Ground height of a 380 for trucking purposes.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
The one measurement I cannot find.

I want to get estimates to truck a Catalina 380 to me. They need the height measurement without the mast for trucking. It has to be less than 13' 6" to get under normal DOT bridges.

I'm hoping that is the case...hate to have to look into removing all the stanchions.

Sailing to my home port on Lake Ontario would require running through the various lock systems in NY and require unstepping and stepping mast....
Paying someone to deliver via water from MI or Long Island will easily run $6,000.

Hoping trucking would be a better cheaper option. Getting quotes now.

Thanks to anyone if they have that info or a link. I just could not for the life of me find it and I'm missing the height between the base of the mast and the water line...

Chris

Jan 22, 2008
I did scour that site, just not the normal info people are looking for

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
OK I thought maybe a member of that site could measure for you.

It sounds like you either bought the boat or are thinking of doing that. Can the owner/broker not measure for you??

EDIT After reading Stu’s post.

Likely a difficult measurement to take precisely on the actual boat. I guess you would have to have a long level at the highest point of the boat - likely maststep that would reach over the side of the boat. Then another one for the waterline stripe on the hull and then measure the “gap”.

Repeat on the other side of the boat to ensure your number is correct.

I don’t know how much “extra” a trucking company factors in but hitting an overpass at 100 km/hr would leave a mark:huh:

What if there is 3 inches of packed snow on the road surface :facepalm:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The measurement depends on the trailer... As an aside, a friend acquired a boat in San Diego and had it trucked to Maine... The only problem... an improperly marked bridge on the Massachuttes Turnpike.... crunch.....

Check in Newport RI, there is a shipping ( by water) company that transports boats... perhaps down the St Lawrence is a route...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Here's what I'd do:

Find the brochure for the boat. Either on the 380 Association website or in the archived brochures on www.catalinayachts.com.
You know the basic measurements from the waterline to the base of the keel, it's a published number = draft. Use that measurement and scale the other numbers. Print it out and figure it out. Cross check with the IJPE numbers from the brochure.
The ONLY number you can give the trucking company are the boat's dimensions. They are the only people who know the height of their own trailer.
Good luck.

• Helpful
May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
the air draft for the 380 is 56'0". subtract your mast length from that then add the draft (7'6"??) but dont take my word for it, check with catalina.

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
the air draft for the 380 is 56'0". subtract your mast length from that then add the draft (7'6"??) but dont take my word for it, check with catalina.
Don’t forget the pulpits...unless you plan to remove them.

They will add some height to the boat “body”.

Greg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Call Catalina. They should have the most accurate measurements taking into account things that we may not think of. They've dealt with this a few times ;)

May 26, 2004
Catalina 380 New Castle, NH
I have a 380 - it will depend upon how the boat is cradled on the trailer, in part. If you figure 6 feet or so for depth of keel and 6+ feet of headroom in the cabin, and add at least 2-3 feet for the height of the cradle bottom above the road, I suspect you will be over the 13.5 feet limit about which you are concerned. When my boat is being hauled onto an over the road trailer, the top of the boat seems to me to be 15 feet off the ground. although I have not measured it directly.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I have a 380 - it will depend upon how the boat is cradled on the trailer, in part. If you figure 6 feet or so for depth of keel and 6+ feet of headroom in the cabin, and add at least 2-3 feet for the height of the cradle bottom above the road, I suspect you will be over the 13.5 feet limit about which you are concerned. When my boat is being hauled onto an over the road trailer, the top of the boat seems to me to be 15 feet off the ground. although I have not measured it directly.
Most over the road trailers are air ride and the keel beam usually sits about 6" off the road ( bottom of beam) then depending on the load rating the beam might be 4 or 6" tall...so MAYBE one (1) foot of cradle height...that would reduce the over the road height to 12.5 or 11.5 depending....

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks guys. The 12.5' is about the estimate most are coming in with.

I'm Western NY and there is a 380 down on Long Island that I am planning on looking at.
I'll bring my tape measure to be sure. The concern is the deck height (where the mast is stepped), but also bow pulpit and perhaps even the steering pedestal with its pod that might be higher than the deck top.

The trucking companies needed a height for quoting purposes. So I gave them the 12.5' and then asked for a quote if it's over 13' 4" and they'd need to pick a 'no overpass' route.

Initially, I'm probably looking at about $3-$5k to truck 450 miles (including unstepping and stepping of mast)

I'll keep everyone posted.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
You're probably ok. I went through this last year and it was really close but I have deck saloon with raised cabin top and traveler on top. I had to remove my pulpit and the traveler car. Looking at the line drawing available on Sailboatdata.com it looks like your pulpit is the high point. Just drop a tape from the pulpit to ground. My shipper said he needed 1 foot under the cradle but that may be different for different trailers.

If the boat is in the water, try measuring to the water then add draft plus whatever is under the keel on the cradle.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I just checked, the shipper said he needed 6 inches under the cradle, not a foot.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
How about calling Catalina to find out who hauls their new boats. I have a Beneteau so called them to get info when I needed boat hauled over road thru many states

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
Since you have to drop the mast either way, if my choices were to spend 6k to truck my boat -vs- motoring up to Albany (150 miles?) and another 325ish on the Erie canal, I'd choose the canal in a heartbeat! Would make for a very pleasant week and a half on the water, and you'll probably have a few volunteers to join you (sign me up, for one).

You can have the mast trucked from Albany, so no need for sketchy mast supports and assorted head-knockery. And yes, the bridge clearances on the canal are frequently mismarked on the charts, but even the low ones are a lot higher than your stanchions.

Now, on that 60 foot wooden motor with a radar and a flying bridge, it was a very different story, but still one hell of a good time...

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Just finished hauling my Catalina 36, and the sending yard got it under 13' without removing too much. A few words of advice:
  1. Call around to a variety of transport companies as prices vary wildly. Boat transporters are usually small operations (a guy and a truck), so if the guy you're talking to can't do the job, he knows someone who can, so ask.
  2. Price depends on their back-haul, so if you are flexible with your timing, they can often save you tons.
  3. You will have to remove the wheel and the binnacle grab-rail, or perhaps even the binnacle itself, but probably not pull the stanchions as they extend only to the cabin coach roof.
  4. There's quite a bit of prep to get it ready, some of which is definitely do-it-yourself like securing stuff internally or removing the anchor, and some may be professional.
  5. You should budget a few days on the hard in the receiving location for mast stepping, cleaning (road grime!), and checking everything.

Jan 22, 2008
Thank you for that follow up.

I did find a 380 out of Wisconsin. I am scheduling a flight to go take a look at it and review survey results. Great Lakes quoted about $6,500 to go from Manitowac to Rochester, NY. That would include wide load permits and going 'off route' as Chicago and New York do not allow 12.5' wide loads on their roads. Depending on backhauls, I can get it down to $5,500.

This one is a wing keel, shoal draft. They have a special lowboy trailer that will fit the boat with no height issues. I shouldn't have to remove binnacle or stanchions. All the rest will have to be secured and taped up to keep any screws or bolts from vibrating loose.

I suppose that's the cost of moving up!!!! This one i