Cordage

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Halyards, reef, cunningham, vang, outhaul, tack for asso. Basically everthing but the sheets, is there any reason at all with todays low/no stretch lines to use anything bigger than 8mm(5/16th) on a boat my size?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Probably not. With one exception (see below), size line by function and hand feel.. smaller lines are harder to hold onto when loaded.

The exception. Older boats with older ST (Barients, Barlow, OLD lewmars etc) winches will often have fixed jaws that will not grip much smaller line. Then you're stuck.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was going to say "feel" too but you beat me. Some clutches, jam cleats etc are sized for older, thicker line. They may not grab the thin stuff.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Well, no ST'ers on my boat so far, all those lines mentioned will be run through cam cleats or stoppers sized properly. And the tack line will be fed through a stopper backed up by a winch so nobody's gonna' throw their back out trying to haul it in like on buddys boat. lol
Only caveat I've heard is loads generated by lines with no give on older boats not engineered to handle the loading. But C&C's aren't, to my knowledge, cheaply built, and again, only 343 sq ft sail srea.

Nov 8, 2010
Well, no ST'ers on my boat so far, all those lines mentioned will be run through cam cleats or stoppers sized properly. And the tack line will be fed through a stopper backed up by a winch so nobody's gonna' throw their back out trying to haul it in like on buddys boat. lol
Only caveat I've heard is loads generated by lines with no give on older boats not engineered to handle the loading. But C&C's aren't, to my knowledge, cheaply built, and again, only 343 sq ft sail srea.
That might effect your deck hardware, but not so much your boat. ;^)

The REAL effect of that comes when you combine low stretch cordage with modern sails. If you're flying dacron, it will just stretch a bit more to absorb the extra shock.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I have 5/16 on most everything but upwind sheets which I use 3/8 samson trophy braid. The rigid vang came with the 1/4 and I replaced the cunningham with 1/4 so I could use a narrower clam cleat for fitment. I will mention that all my halyards have a 3/16 dyneema core with a 5/16 cover.... Very low stretch and easy to splicing project.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The exception. Older boats with older ST (Barients, Barlow, OLD lewmars etc) winches will often have fixed jaws that will not grip much smaller line. Then you're stuck.
What's "old" Pre 2000 or older? My Lewmar ST winches are 1999. I planned to run smaller diameter halyards, sheets & control lines than I currently have on the boat.

Nov 8, 2010
What's "old" Pre 2000 or older? My Lewmar ST winches are 1999. I planned to run smaller diameter halyards, sheets & control lines than I currently have on the boat.
The current ocean winches (née 1995) have spring loaded caps. The older ones (with screws on top) do not.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
That might effect your deck hardware, but not so much your boat. ;^)

The REAL effect of that comes when you combine low stretch cordage with modern sails. If you're flying dacron, it will just stretch a bit more to absorb the extra shock.
Yeah, that's my plan for upwind sails but I think I'm right in thinking I can save some dough on spin halyards where stretch don't matter no how.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
YUP....one good reason... small diameter line running thru blocks ( over sheaves) meant for larger lines have a tendency to jump and get pinched....

Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, that's my plan for upwind sails but I think I'm right in thinking I can save some dough on spin halyards where stretch don't matter no how.
Thats not true. Any stretch or a halyard or sheet is lost power. Power that could have been used to drive the boat forward, but instead just stretched a line.

Nov 8, 2010
YUP....one good reason... small diameter line running thru blocks ( over sheaves) meant for larger lines have a tendency to jump and get pinched....
In theory yes, but in typical practice almost never. The gaps on the side of a well designed sheave is so small that any realistically sized line will not catch.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
It was the dismaying stretch on Sta Set halyards in a 20 knot breeze that has caused me to seek better lines. Using MLX3 8mm now.