About to buy a 2002 Hunter 356

pzacko

Oct 12, 2020
Hunter 356 Jacksonville FL
Hi folks - first time posting so be gentle! I am about to have a 2002 Hunter 356 surveyed in Florida and this will be my first hunter (had a Beneteau years ago).

Any call outs or things I should look for (besides the standard stuff) on this year/model of Hunter? I know the moisture/humidity is insane here in FL and the previous owner replaced all the standing and running rigging in 2015.

Any and all help is much appreciated! Thanks folks!!

-zack

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had one years ago.
The boat will sail sooooo much better with good sails. With blown out sails the boat will feel overpowered in 15 Kts TWS. Maybe even at 12 Kts.
I didn't like the long run of the waste line from the head to the aft holding tank. I replaced the hose but it's not the best situation. See Peggy - The Head Mistress - posts on this subject. And, in my boat at least there wasn't a shutoff between the tank and the macerator pump, which made maintenance problematic. I also didn't like the dinette, which takes up way too much space. We usually kept the table down and could sprawl there. If I got the go ahead from the admiral, which I didn't, I would have made a smaller table or put drop leafs in.
It may not sound that way but I did really like the boat. I was sad then it was time to sell.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Since you mentioned the moisture/humidity... check for leaks. One of our large fixed portlights was leaking, but it wasn't obvious as the water ran down the headliner and onto the galley. We also had a leak at the companionway frame. Neither of these was especially difficult to fix, but if it's been neglected you may have some rotten wood.

One of the bigger jobs I had to do on mine was a subfloor replacement in the aft cabin and galley, a result of a neglected leaky water heater.

Andrew also makes a great point wrt the plumbing. If the hose to the holding tank hasn't been replaced, plan on replacing it ASAP with the best hose you can buy, even if it looks fine. To expand on the macerator, the factory location puts it level with the bottom of the holding tank, without a shutoff valve. Over time, the seals in the macerator pump fail and you get a nasty black water leak under the aft cabin. We resolved this by placing a new pump on the rear bulkhead, level with the top of the holding tank.

The rest of the stuff I think would be standard to most boats. Diesel maintenance, rigging, sail condition, etc.

MarcW

Dec 9, 2019
Hunter 356 Lancaster
We just bought a 2002 Hunter 356. I would concur with the advice to check for leaks around the skylights. I had to bring her back to the dealer and they did fix it on them. The tank indicator didn't work and I'm not sure the fuel sender is working but a flashlight can show the fuel level. Check all the rest of the usual things, engine belts, hoses, clamps, vents, etc. I'm holding off until next year to get new sails and rigging. It's a fun boat. We did better than I thought we would in a local race recently.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
One step at a time, make sure you engaged the surveyor and that he works for you. Many Dealers will recommend one but he may not be inclined to bite the hand that feeds him.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
great boat! We've owned Escape since new and she's been fun to sail, roomy, seaworthy and fast. We've upgraded most of her systems, but the 356 is easy to service and upgrade. You didn't mention your experience or plans for the boat but welcome to the forum! Please post what the surveyor says and feel free to ask any questions. we made the same fix as Karellen, and also replaced the hose from the head to the tank - 17 feet! we found a 1.5-1.5" coupling, taped the hoses together and fished the new hose in- in the aft locker and out the head portlite. There are some tie wraps across the stern you'll have to cut. Like any boat, there will be some leaks, and the stock sails were basically bedsheets. Good sails will greatly improve her handling and speed.

pzacko

Oct 12, 2020
great boat! We've owned Escape since new and she's been fun to sail, roomy, seaworthy and fast. We've upgraded most of her systems, but the 356 is easy to service and upgrade. You didn't mention your experience or plans for the boat but welcome to the forum! Please post what the surveyor says and feel free to ask any questions. we made the same fix as Karellen, and also replaced the hose from the head to the tank - 17 feet! we found a 1.5-1.5" coupling, taped the hoses together and fished the new hose in- in the aft locker and out the head portlite. There are some tie wraps across the stern you'll have to cut. Like any boat, there will be some leaks, and the stock sails were basically bedsheets. Good sails will greatly improve her handling and speed.
Thanks Chuck. The main issues from the survey were:
1. A deformed rudder (concave on one side) which pulled the wheel/boat hard to starboard
2. Yanmar isn't getting to 3600 rpms (capped out at 3200) but I think this could be old fuel, the fact that the prop was chewed up pretty badly, or dirty fuel filters
3. A leaky hatch (in the V birth) and a leaky window over the electric panel (not ideal)
4. Engine shaft is riding on the bronze stern tube. I think this means need an engine alignment.

Love your thoughts/feedback!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
One step at a time, make sure you engaged the surveyor and that he works for you. Many Dealers will recommend one but he may not be inclined to bite the hand that feeds him.
I hope not. You should never ever use a surveyor recommended by a broker, just on principal. In fact, them doing so violates the Professional Yacht Brokers code of Ethics.

Mar 20, 2004
Thanks Chuck. The main issues from the survey were:
1. A deformed rudder (concave on one side) which pulled the wheel/boat hard to starboard
2. Yanmar isn't getting to 3600 rpms (capped out at 3200) but I think this could be old fuel, the fact that the prop was chewed up pretty badly, or dirty fuel filters
3. A leaky hatch (in the V birth) and a leaky window over the electric panel (not ideal)
4. Engine shaft is riding on the bronze stern tube. I think this means need an engine alignment.

Love your thoughts/feedback!
Hmmm, the rudder might have hit something but might be repairable; if not, Foss foam still makes the OEM rudder.
2. All possibilities - I assume this test was in gear...did the engine smoke? or just not pull 3600 rpm. If it pulls 3600 in neutral, it could be the wrong prop or a clogged exhaust elbow - very common on those engines. it's normal to cruise around 2700 rpm at hull speed with a properly pitched prop. Was the elbow ever replaced?
3. the hatch frame may need recaulking, or the hatch gasket may be compressed/worn - a fairly common maintenace repair. same for the portlight - I did the forward on two years ago, about to do the aft one! after 18 years, not surprising.
4. probably an alignment, check the cutless bearing for wear first. If it's worn, replace and then check the alignment. also check the engine mounts; if they are rusty or worn they may need replacement.

Except for the rudder, these are all regular maintenance issues on 18 year old boats.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Follow Chuck’s suggestions. I’ve had my 2003 H356 since new in March 2003. Just replaced my MarineAirr HVAC unit and pump this summer, but we have used our boat heavier than most. I still haven’t replaced my head hose - hasn’t been a problem for my boat but I have an electric head and flush out the line when we leave the boat. You will like the 2002. Kitchen better than the models made after 2003 with the college style refrigerator freezers. Our models are much better.
Replaced my sails with North CDI and running rigging last year but haven’t sailed this year due to COVID. Looking forward to getting back on the water next spring.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
My 375 had wet decks around the mast which I understand the 356 may have potential for as well.

pzacko

Oct 12, 2020
Hi folks - I just closed on my hunter 356! Woohoo!

quick question: there was clearly a leak in a port side window (close to the Nav station). The top of the wood cabinet and, when opening the wood cabinet and looking at the top from the inside, the wood is discolored and quite soft - clearly water damaged.
Is there anything I can do to that wood/cabinet without having to replace the wood? For example, is there a varnish or lacquer I can put on it to restore the look?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats @pzacko We al would love to see pictures of your new baby girl..

First. You need to stop the leak. Next you need to dry the wood out. Perhaps even run a dehydrator in the cabin for a while to get the moisture out of the wood..

If the wood is soft and punky, you might be able to strengthening it with a penetrating epoxy. Once you are comfortable that that the wood is no longer holding moisture (this is where a moisture meter is helpful), then you can smooth the surface and apply a varnish. Unsure what the rest of your wood work look like. You may want a satin finish. You my want a rubbed look. Or it could be hi gloss. All depends on what you currently have that you are trying to match.

Good luck. Pictures help.

Mar 20, 2004
Congrats! what jssailem said - after you get the wood stabilized the penetrating epoxy - a product like git rot - you can smooth the surface with teak filler and re-stain. The finish is a mohawk clear spray lacquer, satin finish, available on amazon, but any satin marine varnish can be used. I've been impressed with pettit seagold satin. post some pictures of your baby!