Hunter Edge Real Top Speed with 70hp Outboard

nickh1

Oct 3, 2020
Hunter Edge 27 Portsmouth
Hello, I am considering the purchase or a Hunter 27 Edge but I talked to a current owner who said the top speed with a 70hp Yamaha outboard is only 7 knots. What has everyone's experience been with this semi-planing hull that has been advertised to go as fast as 17 knots with a 70hp outboard?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Welcome to SBO!

No personal experience but this review claims 15 with a “ light crew”. Very sensitive to loaded weight so perhaps the current owner has it packed with “stuff”.

I don’t know if I would want to be on board at anything faster than 15- 17 anyway ;)

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
70 hp to go 7 knots in a 27' boat would be the dumbest boat design ever, unless it was a working tug. Something's wrong. Maybe the owner isn't draining the ballast.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Maybe the owner isn't draining the ballast.
That was my guess when I first read the post. Ask for a test "sail" and see for yourself before you buy it.

nickh1

Oct 3, 2020
Hunter Edge 27 Portsmouth
Thank you both for the input. I will have to ask the owner how loaded up the boat was and take it out on the water.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've never been on one but I think you are supposed to open the ballest valve while running the O.B. and it drains while underway... then you close the valve once the tank is empty.

The real issue in my mind is...you will have to remember to open the valve and refil the tank before you switch back to sailing... or really bad things will happen.

Last edited:

MarcB

Oct 15, 2020
Hunter 27 Edge New Rochelle
I am looking for a 27 Edge to see in the NY area before buying one. Does anyone have or know of one.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look under hunter owners looking for the first post by Phil herring “Hunter resources archive now on line.” Click on that and go to owner manuals. Look for anything reference to 27TE, 27X or Hunter 27 Edge.

I introduced that boat for Hunter in the 2009 Annapolis Sailboat Show which was my last rodeo after 35 years. When the dock was opened up being one of the first to leave, the Catalina dealer yelled out that I did not have the blank to put the pedal to the metal. Well, I left throwing water into the Harbor Patrol boat, waking the docks and boats and throwing water up on everyone to boot. Everyone was cheering me on while in excess of 23 knots until a few minutes later a siren was noted. Three blue light specials to include Harbor Patrol, DNR and Coast Guard. I was laughing so hard tears were coming out of my eyes and with my chin sucked in like during the rat line at VMI, I said in a southern drawl I did not know when it came to speed. No tickets. Great way to leave that show after 35 years. By the way the water ballast tank was full

Ajp

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter marine 270 Merrick
Dave,
Does the ballast drain faster at sea level or the top of the mountain in Vermont?
Jeez, interesting physics problem! Let’s see, lower air pressure and weight of water higher up (mass same). So, I would guess empties quicker at sea level?

MarcB

Oct 15, 2020
Hunter 27 Edge New Rochelle
What should I be looking out for when buying a used 27 Edge? Heard about potential stress fractures.... anything else common or expensive to be on the lookout for?