Enchanted Charter (Sept. 2020 Issue of Sailing)

Jul 8, 2016
Hi gang,

I was surfing the net and came across an article from the September 2020 issue of SAILING magazine, titled Enchanted Charter. With the subheading, "A cruising couple fall in love with a classic yawl on a charter off the Maine Coast," you just started to get a sneaking suspicion of what kind of yawl might make off with their hearts. Sure enough, here's the link to the article about their trip onboard their enchantress - the Alden Challenger ARIA - in Maine:

Adam

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Great read! Indeed, it’s amazing that owners charter out their classic boats....

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Great read! Indeed, it’s amazing that owners charter out their classic boats....
I too find it amazing anyone charters ANY boat. I've met the owner (super nice man), he has always chartered ARIA for most of the season for a couple decades. That more than pays the costs of the boat and helps to keep it in good condition (he's not a DIY'er) and upgraded. I'd trust him to be an expert on what you need to do to your boat to safely charter it out.

Plus I think he enjoys the connection of the charterers and sending them out in a classic boat to sail this world class cruising ground.

On the other hand, I've seen ARIA out on the water dozens and dozens of times in the last 20 years, met several charterers. All the while, I've only met the owner once onboard. Go figure.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Our live-aboard that my family spent four years on, was sold to a charter company. We spotted it, full of passengers, headed out of the bay. Three young women, who were laying out on the cabin top, catching some sun, sat up and waved to us as we passed each other, at the channel entrance to Clearwater Pass. They were all topless. We all called her the "Orgy Boat" after that. Is it really any wonder why some captains stay in the business (and wear sunglasses)? :waycool:

-Will (Dragonfly)